An Euro or A Euro?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:35 pm

Hank- the cite you gave above was not correct...

One would never correctly use 'an Euro... anything'. It would always be 'a Euro... anything'. Just try saying it! Not your fault, just a bad cite, probably written by a non native English speaker on a bad day. (Or a native English speaker, on a good day, given the level of grammar prevalent in the UK these days!)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:40 pm

BAT wrote:Yes, but Tiina wanted to know about English, and the English pronunciation determines the article "a" or "an". :D
Yes, but Queens' English, Midwest American or colloquial Melbourne Australian?
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

gavin

Post by gavin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:46 pm

Hank W. wrote:Yes, but Queens' English, Midwest American or colloquial Melbourne Australian?
Oh Gawd. Here we go AGAIN :roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:48 pm

dusty_bin wrote:Hank- the cite you gave above was not correct...
Yes it was. Just google the pair "a euro" "an euro" and you find umpteen pages with inconsitent spellings - on the same page. I can't figure out the logic in them, as Europe should be 'a' as well, right?
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:53 pm

strawberry wrote: So "euro" is not pronounced öörö in any English speaking country, yes? Please correct me if I'm missing something...
I said 'Europe', theres going to be 10 more countrries joining in soon. I bet the Poles will pronounce 'euro' as 'zmrzwczw' though...
Cheers, Hank W.

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:54 pm

Hank W. wrote:An euro € is worth just under IR£0.79. ... Do this before 01 January next year and you should have a good grasp of what a euro will buy
Like someone make their mind up on this please (most of those quotes are from EU pages too)
Hank, Hank... Don't panic. Look, this really is just like the An 'Otel thingy - contrary to what you and I think on the whole, our fellow English speakers make mistakes - okey? Grammatically it is 'a'. Please believe this - and do not look for more examples of English speakers' bad days... You'll find LOADS and in perfectly respectable sources, too... :wink:

strawberry

Post by strawberry » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:55 pm

Hank W. wrote:
strawberry wrote: So "euro" is not pronounced öörö in any English speaking country, yes? Please correct me if I'm missing something...
I said 'Europe', theres going to be 10 more countrries joining in soon. I bet the Poles will pronounce 'euro' as 'zmrzwczw' though...
Hank, the Poles had better pronounce it correctly - or else... :twisted: But, we do not change the grammar due to a bunch of Poles, do we...??? :wink:

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:56 pm

"A euro". End of. Any native english speaker from anywhere saying "an euro" is an uneducated hick. :twisted:

BAT

Post by BAT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:07 pm

Actually, I agree with Niall - I don't think there is any dialect of English that would say the "eu" part of "euro" differently enough to use "an" as the article. (I'd have to check some kind of English corpus to be sure though :wink: )

gavin

Post by gavin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:09 pm

Niall Shaky wrote:"A euro". End of. Any native english speaker from anywhere saying "an euro" is an uneducated hick. :twisted:
eerer! know wot appens oif a cuontry bumkin loike me wans too pik op an euro fromtha groun? :roll:

Yeah. It's A EURO.

And if it's one thing that nips me like an angry wasp with a pair of wirecutters is Finns who feel the need to correct my English (Even Mari has learned to bite her lip)

I am dyslexic, and my grammar is FAR from perfect, but it's my language, not yours, so THERE! :P

BAT

Post by BAT » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:12 pm

Everyone makes mistakes :)

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:21 pm

to use 'an', in English, the sound would have to be 'ooooro', not 'urow'.

Sadly, the internet, is for many things a hotbed of untruth, deception and error.

One of the easy things about English is the way we work with sounds. Just by the sound, one can know that 'an Euro' could not be correct, it sounds too ugly. In Finnish, you don't with the exception of some agreements, have the same cue.

So as a rule, if it sounds ugly, it is probably wrong...
Hence the 'an 'otel'. 'a hotel' thing. It depends upon the pronunciation. In Received Pronunciation, one would use 'an 'otel', becasue the 'h' is dropped. In most common forms, the 'h' is distinct and thus the 'an' form is used, it simply sounds better.

Easy 'innit!

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:48 pm

gavin wrote:
Niall Shaky wrote:"A euro". End of. Any native english speaker from anywhere saying "an euro" is an uneducated hick. :twisted:
eerer! know wot appens oif a cuontry bumkin loike me wans too pik op an euro fromtha groun? :roll:
:
You would just prove my point :P

gavin

Post by gavin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:00 pm

sparks1061 wrote:
gavin wrote:I am dyslexic, and my grammar is FAR from perfect, but it's my language, not yours, so THERE! :P
I thought your language was Welsh? :twisted:
There's always one pedantic sod :roll: :wink:

If I stub my toe, I swear in Finnish
If I am doing business I speak English
If I'm feeling patriotic I (try) and speak Welsh

But, for example, I think I know the difference between an oven and a hob no matter how much a Finnish person argues otherwise :wink: