Training sessions

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Frenchseb

Training sessions

Post by Frenchseb » Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:07 pm

Hi there!

Do you know if exist some training sessions to learn Finnish? I mean so kind of intensive training lasting about one or two weeks... at least to make a step in the tough that leads to speaking Finnish...Preferably in Helsinki area...

Thanks for your help!
Seb, French who want to speak Finnish

Training sessions

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:31 am

I think what you are looking for Seb is what is refered to as "Total Immersion Language School".
These are usualy residential two weeks at some place/camp/hostel where only Finnish is spoken in groups that are split into several competance levels.
Last year I remember we had an advert placed by one such "school" which was organised by a Fiin/Brit Society based in UK....sorry cant remember the name but I am sure some other member will.
What I heard it is good but not cheap.

I have often thought that . could do something for members who need basic help and one idea was that those members who are competant and willing would take a group on practical exercises---e.g Shopping...
In City market..."Go and ask that shop assistant where you can find.xyz..then come back and take me to the places!"
"Go the bar an order two bottles of beers and ask how much it cost for a large draft beer..come back and tell me the price"

Niall Shaky used to have a group which met quite often in a pub and practiced this ...do they still do this..? (see the sticky "Discussion group")