Scottish teenager quits Finnish army over language difficult

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Jul 14, 2003 3:44 pm

A Scottish teenager who enlisted with the Finnish army has quit after nine days because he can't understand the language.

Hamish Colville volunteered for national service in Finland to fill his gap year and keep his dual British-Finnish nationality.

The 18-year-old, whose mother Ritva is Finnish, says he was left kicking his heels in a barracks near Helsinki, because of the language difficulty.

"I couldn't understand a word anyone was saying. They wouldn't even let me go near a gun because the safety lectures didn't mean anything to me. All I did was march to meals then sit about in my room reading while everyone else got on with the interesting things."

Hamish, from St Cyrus, Kincardineshire, told senior officers he'd be willing to complete his national service in a civilian role, but is now unsure about that, reports the Daily Record.

He's due to return to Finland early next year but by that time, he will have started an economics course at Edinburgh University.

The only other option is to defer national service until he leaves university in four years. Hamish said: "I can't see myself doing that, to be honest. I'll be too busy training for a job and getting on with my life. If they force me to do it I'll tell them no way and give up my Finnish passport."

Story filed: 08:22 Thursday 6th March 2003

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Niall Shaky

Post by Niall Shaky » Mon Jul 21, 2003 3:57 pm

Hamish seems a bit stupid.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:03 pm

I thought it is possible to defer Finnish national service until 30.

Is it now possible to hold dual nationality (I knew it is at least going through parliment here, but hadn't heard it's been passed into law).

ambl

Post by ambl » Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:29 pm

I don't think language difficulties matter that much in military service - it's better to keep your mouth shut anyway. For example, there was one german guy serving in my unit. His english skills were quite poor and no one else understood german. Still, six months later he was a corporal and happily shouting at the new conscripts.

And quite frankly, 9 days is too little to see what it's really all about. Due to health inspections it can take up to two weeks before outdoors training (including shooting) can begin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:38 am

Reading on the books how the French Foreign Legion taught French I'd say their method of teaching was kicking the grammar in...
Cheers, Hank W.

Tomakaze

Post by Tomakaze » Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:13 pm

If only they would ask me to be in the finnish army I would opin suomea faster than they could shake a C7 at me :shock:

gerg_861

Post by gerg_861 » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:36 am

quite truthfully I have to say that one of my biggest fears about moving to Finland and marrying my gf is the idea of getting conscripted. It goes against everything that I believe in, and I spent years working night shifts during my university so that I wouldn't have to join the U.S. army to pay for school. On the other hand I bet that the finnish army gets sent off to timbuktu to have their butts shot off less often than the U.S. army too...
That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:37 pm

They only conscript citizens. Just need to wait until you are 28. Finnish citizenship is a privilege. You have to contribute for this privilege, even if it is your birthright.
Cheers, Hank W.

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:41 pm

There's always Civil Conscripted Service for those who don't want to be in the armed forces.
Image Image

Tomakaze

Post by Tomakaze » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:50 am

Finland can even make conscripted military service seem progressive. If I were a Finn I would be proud to serve in the military. Seems to me it has a lot more to do with where the values of your government and people rest, the military is just an extension of this - a tool to be used.

Anyways, gerg, as you are an American, let me ask you this. If you are not happy to serve your country when you are needed, is that not an indication that your government isn't exactly worthy of your support?

If I were an American I would be smoking pot and #@!@ing the MAN!

But I'm a Canadian 8) , so I smoke pot, AND I would be proud to work in the military when I'm needed, and I have voluntarily. The thing is, Canada's situation is a bit different, our military is not really the strength of our country. Our most effective method of national defence is to bend over to Uncle Sam. There is a certain security within diplomacy though.

Finland's population being so small, and having to tough out so much throughout history, it really seems to me that having this military culture is a very good thing overall. Besides, what better way to make a man of ya!

I could be waaay off.

Tomakaze

US congress draft bill

Post by Tomakaze » Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:45 am

What do you all think of this :?

http://www.congress.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery ... @L&summ2=m

Seems like the US could have compulsory military service again... woohooo! :roll: