Ducks players speak Finnish...sort of :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... EYPQJdM-KU

Re: Is Finnish a dead language?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:23 pm

...I am Hungarian and I plan to learn this language.Finnish and Hungarian are in the Uralic language family...
http://translate.google.com/#fi|hu|Terv ... orumiin%20!

opinto

Post by opinto » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:58 pm

Kuuntele Yle Poohe ja köp iPoohelin App M O T www.kielikone.mobi ja facebook =qasvojen Yle oppiminen ,opimisterapia, sano se Suomea pooolustaa Suomea lysna til YLe Poohe kieliopi opetteleminen on korva työtä aherrettava sitkeästi :thumbsup:

Finland Forum on kielikoulutus Kohtele hevostasi hyvin niin se ei jätä sinua poolaan Finland Forum Käyttäjäliitäntä ei Suomea miten ja miksi mitään sekoilija :lol:
haluan oppia puhumaan suomea peremmin Kirjoitaa se

noxie

Post by noxie » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:02 pm

miksi wrote:Is it just me or do Finnish language teachers teach Finnish like Latin, a dead language.

I have taken different courses at different schools like University of Helsinki Language Centre, Helsingin aikuisopisto, etc. I have also heard from others who had taken courses elsewhere like Helsingin Aikuislukio, Helsinki Markkinointi-instituutti, etc. All in all, even tough the courses were taught by different teachers in different schools, the teachers seem to follow the same teaching style and pattern as if they were all told to teach only this way. They throw a lot of grammar at you courses after courses so that you excel at reading and writing but by the end of course series, you still feel like you don't speak Finnish or even pronounce words properly.

Why the lack of emphasis on speaking and listening early on? Is the only way to learn Finnish is by drowning in grammar first?

My friend, you are spot on. That's why I decided NEVER to apply for a language course in Finland again. It's the same bloody system everywhere. I went to Markkinointi as well,total disappointment. 30 foreigners standing there, all the teacher does is 'seuravaa tehtävää'. NO COMMUNICATION whatsoever. Language is for COMMUNICATION! And no, nobody can convince me that 'THIS IS HOW WE TEACH LANGUAGES IN FINLAND!' No! Language teaching has many techniques and methods. It's a completely different thing if the teachers are not willing to change their teaching methods.
Knowing how to say 'Moi' and 'Hyvää paivää' won't suffice. That's all you will get in those language courses.
To whoever is planing to spend hundreds of euros on language courses, spare yourselves from trouble. Buy a grammar book, dictionary and just consume the language all around you. Force yourself to read daily newspapers, do talk!