finnish films with subtitles

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Puhakainen

Post by Puhakainen » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:41 pm

hey, does anyone know any decent films with speech in finnish and subtites in english?? i heard its a good way to help learn :] thanx if u can helppppp

:L

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

happeningfish

Post by happeningfish » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:17 am

Many of Aki Kaurismäki's films (and those of his brother as well) have been released with English subtitles. They're not necessarily the easiest to watch; it depends on whether you like slow films or not. :)

Where are you learning from? If you're actually in Finland, I'd suggest picking a finnish film you like and watching it many, many times. I used to watch finnish films with english subtitles but it didn't actually help me very much. What was way more helpful was watching films without subtitles (or non-english films with finnish subtitles, even -- just recently saw Cidade de Deus (probably misspelled, City of God) in Brazilian Portuguese with finnish subtitles and basically got the story).

Watching with English subtitles can help you get very basic words and phrases that show up in movies: yes, no, where are you, i love you, piss off you dickhead, and the like.

Puhakainen

Post by Puhakainen » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:08 am

unfortunately i'm learning from england
however some of the films i own have the choice of being dubbed in italien/spanish/german, with subtitles in finnish, so i'll give that a go an see if i can get the story :] cheers
Last edited by Puhakainen on Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
:L

Alicia

Post by Alicia » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:20 am

DVD's: Pahat Pojat, Joki, Minä ja Morrison had English options.

I'd got for reading the Finnish subtitles on TV during English movies, series. That is how I have learnt a lot of Finnish.

Nathan Lillie

Post by Nathan Lillie » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:43 pm

Lots of DVDs have subtitle options (where you pick your language). I don't think it's a problem to find some with English subtitles. It might not say on the box, though.
If you want to catch beasts you don't see every day,
You have to go places quite out-of-the-way.
You have to places no other can get to.
You have to get cold and you have to get wet, too.

If I Ran the Zoo, Dr. Suess

TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:13 pm

I bought the The Winter War ( by Pekka Parikka) on video ...in Finnish with English subtitles from Amazon. Good film :)