Need Help With A Translation

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
cors187

Re: Need Help With A Translation

Post by cors187 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:55 am

What can i use online to decipher the nouns and predict the grouping.
ATM my prediction system is merely copy/paste-look for 2,3 consonants grouped next to each other and do some space bar additions to try and pick up a google "did you mean=" prediction.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:31 pm

cors187 wrote:What can i use online to decipher the nouns and predict the grouping.
I’m not sure if there is such a tool. (Could be helpful for a language learner if there were, though.)

Impenetrable-looking solid compounds are very common in some other languages, too — notably German.

I guess the only good way around them is simply learning enough vocabulary so you eventually start picking up the individual, familiar words out of the concatenated string and can look up the parts you don’t know.
cors187 wrote:ATM my prediction system is merely copy/paste-look for 2,3 consonants grouped next to each other and do some space bar additions to try and pick up a google "did you mean=" prediction.
Maybe learning how to divide the words in syllables would speed up the process a bit.

Some ad hoc rules:
  1. Just as a general reminder, the letter “Y” is always a vowel in Finnish.
  2. Simple nouns in their basic dictionary form can usually be divided into syllables by splitting up the word at the points where a vowel (coming first) meets a lone consonant (coming second and followed by another vowel.)
  3. If there are two consonants in a row, you divide the word into syllables between them.
  4. If there are three consonants in a row, the last one is usually doubled, and you divide the syllables between the two last (doubled) consonants. (If the two last consonants are not identical, division should probably be done between the first and the second one.)
Going by these rules, you get:

mai-to-tölk-ki
voi-veit-si
kiin-teis-tö-kort-ti
huol-to-kart-ta
tar-jous-pyyn-tö-lo-ma-ke
työl-li-syys-pro-sent-ti

You still need to figure out where one word ends and the next one begins (maito|tölkki, voi|veitsi, kiinteistö|kortti, huolto|kartta, tarjous|pyyntö|lomake, työllisyys|prosentti), but maybe it’s a bit faster now.

Some compounds may have a prefix component that ends with a consonant, often -s, -n, -l, or -r. When combined with a second component that happens to begin with a vowel, the situation will throw off the above rules. For example, syys-u-nel-ma, vi-her-ok-sa, maa-lais-i-dyl-li (syys|unelma, viher|oksa, maalais|idylli). Also, loan words with consonant clusters at the beginning may be problematic, so the above rules do not always produce correct syllable division.

For the interested parties, here’s a simple computer algorithm for syllabifying Finnish, described as simple steps (in Finnish.) There are probably corner cases it can’t handle, either. Any such algorithm will eventually need a dictionary of problematic words: you have to have a sense of vocabulary, too, instead of mere logic and rules.

Finally, here’s an online version of Voikko, a FOSS tool for syllabifying and spell-checking Finnish. Voikko is also available as a plugin for OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
znark

Cankiwi2

Post by Cankiwi2 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 am

Looking for some help to get a good translation of the old Skädäm song, "Katujen Kuningatar" and hoped somebody could take the time to edit my attempt a bit. Not unexpectedly, can't find an existing translation anywhere :ohno:

Kiitos in advance :D

Hän sinuun katsoo läpi karvaiden kyynelten / He believes you through the bitter tears
tuntematta tuskaa loppuaan odottaen / feeling the pain of waiting for the end
oot toivo viimeinen, hän sinuun ripustautuu / (?) the last hope, he will hang you(?)
luona baaritiskin uskoutuu / at the bar, confiding

tunnet hänet jo vuosien takaa / He's known her for years?
ja muistot katkerat mieleesi palaa / and the mind's bitter memories return to
kuuljit hänen luonaan rakkautta etsien / kuuljit? with her love of seeking?
kunnes uusi aika nosti sut veneeseen / until the new era brought ments boat????

hän oli katujen kuningatar vuonna ’77 / she was the queen of the streets in '77
jolloin katuja kuljit yöhön pimeään / she marched through the streets of the night into the dark
hän oli kuningatar särkyneiden sydänten / she was the queen of broken hearts
jokainen hänet tunsi häneen luottaen / everyone knew him/her?, he was relying on(?)

katsot hänen kalpeita kasvojaan / looking at her pale face
ei aika ole nuollut haavojaan / time is not licking her wounds
kuin varjot entisestään hän siinä istuu / as the shadows grow?, he sits with a?
viinilasin pintaan katse uppoutuu / glass of wine in the surface of the eye is filled by????

hän oli katujen kuningatar vuonna ’77
jolloin katuja kuljit yöhön pimeään
hän oli kuningatar särkyneiden sydänten
jokainen hänet tunsi häneen luottaen

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:09 pm

Hän sinuun katsoo läpi karvaiden kyynelten / She looks at you through bitter tears
tuntematta tuskaa, loppuaan odottaen / without feeling pain, waiting for her end
oot toivo viimeinen, hän sinuun ripustautuu / you're the last hope, she clings to you
luona baaritiskin uskoutuu / at the bar, confides (on you)

tunnet hänet jo vuosien takaa / You know her from way back
ja muistot katkerat mieleesi palaa / and the bitter memories return to your mind
kuljit hänen luonaan rakkautta etsien / you went to her, looking for love
kunnes uusi aika nosti sut veneeseen / until new times lifted you onto a boat

hän oli katujen kuningatar vuonna ’77 / she was the queen of the streets in '77
jolloin katuja kuljit yöhön pimeään / when you walked through the streets into the dark night
hän oli kuningatar särkyneiden sydänten / she was the queen of broken hearts
jokainen hänet tunsi häneen luottaen / everyone knew her, trusting her

katsot hänen kalpeita kasvojaan / you look at her pale face
ei aika ole nuollut haavojaan / time hasn't licked her wounds
kuin varjo entisestään hän siinä istuu / she sits there like a shadow of what she used to be
viinilasin pintaan katse uppoutuu / her gaze sinks into the top of her wine glass

---
There were some errors in the Finnish lyrics you used, so I fixed them too.

I'm sure someone could come up with a better translation for "kunnes uusi aika nosti sut veneeseen", but, well, it sounds weird in Finnish too.

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:36 pm

cors187 wrote:I cant see how strength and honor fits into this lords prayer??,please explain??
Power is not strength and glory is not honor.
Isä meidän - rukous : http://www.evl.fi/katekismus/isameidan/isameidan.html

Sillä sinun on valtakunta = for thine is the kingdom
voima ja kunnia = the power and the glory
iankaikkisesti = for ever

See the different meanings of "voima" here! : http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/voima

and the different meanings of "kunnia": http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/kunnia

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:18 pm

I think we already finished that discussion in February.

Cankiwi2

Post by Cankiwi2 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:53 pm

jahasjahas wrote:---There were some errors in the Finnish lyrics you used, so I fixed them too.

I'm sure someone could come up with a better translation for "kunnes uusi aika nosti sut veneeseen", but, well, it sounds weird in Finnish too.
Kiitos. Really appreciate the help there :D