Finnish grammar "cheat sheet" books in English...?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Phil

Post by Phil » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:43 pm

I'm looking for a book of Finnish grammar in English. Not like a textbook you'd get in a class, more of like a "cheat sheet." Something with charts and stuff.

Is there such a thing out there?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:25 pm

Not a cheat sheet, but for something a little different, have a look at "Lessons in Finnish Grammar" by Vuokko Heikura. It's kind of a conversational style of book.
http://www.akateeminen.com/search/tuote ... language=0
It has some tables and things in the back (as do most books). Check it out at the library.
Image Miksi leivänpaahtimissa on asetus, jolla leivän saa palaneeksi korpuksi, ettei sitä kukaan syö?

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:27 pm

That book comes in three versions - Explanations of Finnish in Finnish, Russian or English.
Image Miksi leivänpaahtimissa on asetus, jolla leivän saa palaneeksi korpuksi, ettei sitä kukaan syö?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:13 pm

I have Finnish - An Essential Grammar by Fred Karlsson. Believe I bought it in Stockmann bookshop. Not for the faint hearted.... it does have inflection tables in the appendices. New edition is dated 1999. ISBN 0-415-20705-3

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:12 am

penelope wrote:I have Finnish - An Essential Grammar by Fred Karlsson. Believe I bought it in Stockmann bookshop. Not for the faint hearted.... it does have inflection tables in the appendices. New edition is dated 1999. ISBN 0-415-20705-3
Yeah, I've heard about this one - is it worth the money?

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:31 am

Can't actually remember what I paid for it.....

I don't have a problem with grammar. I have studied many languages and find Finnish quite logical (like Hungarian) and there are few exceptions to the rules (unlike French and English). My problem with Finnish is learning the vocabulary. I'm just not good at cramming and drilling and memorising word lists etc etc.

So this book works for me. It is set out very logically and it is easy to find what you might be looking for. But somebody who has no notion of grammar (eg 95% of Brits) would probably break out in a cold sweat just reading the introduction.

Why don't you try and borrow it from the library before you buy it.

Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:25 pm

Thanks frypan and penelope, I went to the bookstore today and picked up both books!! They both look great and are quite different from one another. Thanks for the recommendations!!

Frypan

Post by Frypan » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:27 pm

:wink: