Everyone loves new loan words

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
mookoo

Post by mookoo » Sat Oct 23, 2004 6:50 am

My first experience in foreign language was in Spanish. When students would get confused about a word in Spanish they would just take the word in English and make it sound Spanish. (usually something like microwave-o as to make a word sound "spanish" most people just add an "o" on the end)

p19 asked in another thread what "entrance" was in Finnish. First thing to mind was "entranssi".

It would be fun to see if people could come up with some new "loan words". Try to think of some during your day, whether you speak Finnish already or not. :wink:

Hopefully I will get some replies :ohno:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Colonia

Post by Colonia » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:15 pm

The weekdays sound pretty similar to English and German (at least keskiviikko).

Is the Finnish word for internet "internetti"? It would make sense. :D

Mook

Post by Mook » Sat Oct 23, 2004 1:47 pm

fagotille -> to go to smoke. From the English "Fag", which is of course a slang word for cigarette.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 23, 2004 5:12 pm

Mä irkkaan (IRC) internetissä, kohta teen mikrossa popkornia.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

khu

Post by khu » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:51 am

Colonia wrote:The weekdays sound pretty similar to English and German (at least keskiviikko).
Keskiviikko and Mittwoch are certainly similar, but not in sound, only in meaning. Whereas Wednesday comes (so I hear) from Wotan's day! Surprising, since Wotan-worshippers would have been pretty close to Finland.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:14 am

Mook wrote:fagotille -> to go to smoke. From the English "Fag", which is of course a slang word for cigarette.
Remember fag is slang for cigarette in BRITISH English! American English is quite a different story! :wink: You could get yourself into a lot of trouble in America with that word.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:16 am

Colonia wrote:Is the Finnish word for internet "internetti"? It would make sense. :D
I think so, and you could navigate it with your maussi :D
Last edited by mookoo on Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:17 am

I certainly hope none of us non-Finnish speakers accidentally make up a word that already exists and is something bad. That would be embarrasing! :beamer:

khu

Post by khu » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:22 pm

A couple days I was watching my new Star Wars DVD. During 'A New Hope', in the scene where Han is talking to Jabba the Hutt beside the Millennium Falcon, Jabba ends the conversation with what sounds like a deep and guttural: PASKAAA

:lol:

Richard

Post by Richard » Sun Oct 24, 2004 11:37 pm

khu wrote:A couple days I was watching my new Star Wars DVD. During 'A New Hope', in the scene where Han is talking to Jabba the Hutt beside the Millennium Falcon, Jabba ends the conversation with what sounds like a deep and guttural: PASKAAA

:lol:
Well it wouldn't be the first time, I've heard it used as an "imaginery" language on the recent charlie's angel film and star trek (erm I mean a friend told me ;) )
Last edited by Richard on Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:14 am

mookoo wrote: I think so, and you could navigate it with your maussi :D
Naah, you navigoi with your hiiri, which you kliksauttaa when you are linkin kohdalla. Then a webbisivu aukeaa. :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:19 am

Finnish weekdays are archaic loans from Norse/Germanic. However Finns have their own month names. Oak Month, Pearl Month.... Interestingly, the Estonians use the "Germanic" month names whereas they have their "own" weekday names. Which are pretty dull, as Monday is lit. 'firstday', Tuesday is lit. 'secondday' & so forth... Sunday being 'holy day'
Cheers, Hank W.

khu

Post by khu » Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:55 am

Yeah but it's interesting that the English-Norse 'Wotan's day' is merely 'midweek' in Finnish/German.

Chinese makes weekdays and months easy. 1st Month, 2nd Month :) Same with the week days.

Post by 159753 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:34 pm

At least Finnish doesn't (much) use the Icelandic idea that foreign words are wrong and try to make new words from original language like simí (thread) telephone, sjónvarp (seeing-casting) television & eggijotta (egg-cake) omelette.