Partitatiivi plural

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Papu

Partitatiivi plural

Post by Papu » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:06 am

Hi!

I´m teaching myself finnish here in Austria in preparation for coming in March (I already signed up for an advanced course in Helsinki in March, so I HAVE TO study).

I can´t seem to figuer out partitative plural. I have bought tons of books (grammar, etc.), but none really explains when which words change in which ways....
The explanations range from a joke (""OLD words change like this, while new words change like that"... without it being possible to distinguish an old word from a new word in the first place) to the downright wrong (or maybe I´m just always able to finde the ONE exception within 5 seconds...)

Is there any website that will explain the Partitiivi plural in a logical way?
Or the finnish grammar in general?

Thanks,

Papu

Jabbadabbadooo

Partitatiivi plural

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:23 am

Partative plural is often quoted as being one of the more difficult to comprehend...
The case usualy implies "Lots of" something or "many"..
There are of course rules regading the suffix added, but as you have found ther are exceptions to these rules..
Here are the rules..

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~pamakine/kieli/su ... ivien.html

I can only suggest that when you learn a new noun that you also make a point of checking its partative sing and plural case...
Ask "how do you say "monia or parljon...xyz..?"

Andrew_S

Post by Andrew_S » Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:24 am

Learn them as you go along. After some time you will be able to guess most partitive plurals correctly.
Image Image

Papu

Thanks!

Post by Papu » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:38 pm

Thanks for the link and the tips....

yeah, I figured I´d just have to learn it by heart for every word, until I can guess them right at some time....

But this brings me to the next problem: How do I even find out the partitive plural in the first place???

It doesn´t say in the dictionary, i can´t figure it out myself, so I´m kind of f*'$%ed ... this is kind of a circle:

Don´t bother learning the rules, learn the words.... but if I knew the words, then I wouldn´t bother with the rules in the first place, etc....

You´ve got to love this language!

Well, I´ll try to find out the forms somehow, and the link will certainly help!!!!

Thanks a lot!
Jabbadabbadooo

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:45 pm

Well, Finns need to learn them and necessarily don't know - kids get them wrong a lot.

You just add the ending and wait for a correction.

rotta rottia... you hear kids say hiirejä ja rotteja
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:02 pm

I dont know whether it is correct.. but I have never been told that I was wrong..
But I have found that sticking an end onto a word so it sounds right seems to work..and it gets accepted..

I like the ending "-oita" in the Part Plur..so I use..a lot..probably not correct ...but...take a set of common words..e.g a shopping list...
Peruna become perunoita...which I know is OK..(seen it in City Market). but with me Omena also become Omenoita...and...päärynä...becomes päärynöitä....sitruuna.. :?: .pähkinä.. :?: .porkkana?....go on experiment add you own endings and see if anyone corrects you... :wink:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Nov 15, 2004 2:50 pm

You get all OK with "oita" with all them fruit, but when you get to veggies you run aground...

tomaatti -tomaatteja
sipuli - sipuleita
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:35 pm

At least a fruit-heavy diet is healthy! :wink: