My Finnish Learning

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
aRabbit

My Finnish Learning

Post by aRabbit » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:23 pm

My Finnish learning has been sucked. For all these years, I didn't manage to learn the language other than basics. My vocabulary is small and I know little gramma rules.

For the first several years, study filled up my time. English is my communication tool. And even though I have had a boyfriend for a long time, I didn't have motivation to put myself together to learn it, or study it.
I always decided to start learning, with books, TV and conversations. But after few weeks, I found myself in an ackward situation - other things took over my time and motivation. When I had even time, I naturally forgot about 'Finnish'. I went for the easier way, talking in English and watching English TV shows, etc.

I am so aware of these things. For last 3 monthes, things were going quite well with my Finnish, I talked with people in Finnish quite often. They liked speaking back Finnish. Then today I became very annoyed at myself. I noticed I stopped learning Finnish AGAIN. I am again in this loop: feel bad about not knowing Finnish- determined to pick it up again - quite relieved with my improvement - other matters - forget my determination - after weeks I realized it...

I wanted to take frequent Finnish lessons. työvoimatoimisto's Finnish course of course does not accept me because I am not a full-time job seeker. There is no other options here like other bigger towns. I suppose I can learn Finnish, like self-study, talking to natives, maybe without necessarily attending courses. But the thing is I can't keep on going, whatever which methods I use. I usually stopped without myself realizing it.
I have kept one thing going for over 2 months- watching 'Salatut elämät' :lol: However, their acting and the scripts really bother me :?

Thanks for listening!

Reality is when you stop believing, it will not vanish.

My Finnish Learning

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kalmisto

Post by kalmisto » Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:37 pm

aRabbit

Do not try to learn too much too soon! The important thing is to learn something new every day and not forget what you have learned.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:03 pm

Yeah. Its not such a bad thing to hit a flat spot in your learning. Once gathering a bunch of new information, taking some time to let it sink it is probably good for you. When the Finnish that you do know becomes like second nature, then your brain is ready to absorb some new stuff again. Everyone learns at their own speed, so try not to think about where you "should" be according to others' standards. Just keep on tryin and you'll get it eventually. :)