Finnish courses at HY

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Tom and Jerry

Finnish courses at HY

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:53 pm

If you want to learn Finnish in the Helsinki area, here is a link to these courses. Registration since 11 of August.

http://www.helsinki.fi/kksc/language.se ... tus_2.html

Kursseille ilmoittautuminen

Suomea ulkomaalaisille

Ilmoittautuminen syksyn 2003 Suomea ulkomaalaisille -kursseille:

Kielipalvelujen toimistossa
Yliopistonkatu 5 (8. kerros)
toimiston aukioloaikoina (ma-pe klo 10-15)
11.8. - 10.9.2003
Suomea valealkajille -kurssin ilmoittautuminen 11.8. - 27.8.2003

Kursseille voi ilmoittautua vain toimistossa; ilmoittautumisen voi hoitaa joku muukin kuin kurssilainen itse. Maksukuitti mukaan!

Ryhmät täytetään ilmoittautumisjärjestyksessä. Ilmoittauttuminen on sitova, katso "Maksujen palautus".

Huom! Kurssille voi ilmoittautua vain maksukuittia vastaan.

Finnish courses at HY

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Aug 25, 2003 9:18 am

It's good that they put the info about beginner Finnish classes in Finnish. :roll:[/i]

Phil

Post by Phil » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:11 am

This courses costs 135 euros!!! :x

Interesting how 4-years of university is free but a simple Finnish course costs 135e!

You'd think that the government would encourage foreigners to learn the language. How surprising that they don't. :roll:

Maybe I can get Nokia to foot the bill.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:36 am

Phil wrote:Maybe I can get Nokia to foot the bill.
You can it is part of the Nokia investing in people thing.
There used to be courses being run weekly on most Nokia sites at several levels of skill. Ask your HR department ofr details.
If your boss says that Finnish is important for your career development i.e. most others in your team are Finnish speaking and it will make team work easier.

eashton

Post by eashton » Mon Aug 25, 2003 11:11 am

Phil wrote:It's good that they put the info about beginner Finnish classes in Finnish. :roll:[/i]
Well, if you can read English, you might notice the 'in English' link on the page :) And 130 euros isn't that bad for a 2 credit course, especially since it would cost about $600 in the US for a similar course at any reputable University. Also, keep in mind that people who pay for a course are generally going to be motivated to learn something as opposed to those just making it through the course to meet requirements for state assistance.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Mon Aug 25, 2003 12:59 pm

Phil wrote:This courses costs 135 euros!!! :x

Interesting how 4-years of university is free but a simple Finnish course costs 135e!

You'd think that the government would encourage foreigners to learn the language. How surprising that they don't. :roll:

Maybe I can get Nokia to foot the bill.
The courses at the HY are very good, since the teachers have a lot of experience with foreign students. Sometimes these courses at HY are a lot better than those you can buy at private institutes.

With the fee the salary of the teachers are paid. So, you can guess yourself how low these are. The classrooms are for free from the university.

The Finnish government (in this case opetushallitus) does not support these courses. Certainly not those on the intermediate and advanced level.