Good source for Finnish verbs *with* correct subject cases

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
LostOzzie

Post by LostOzzie » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:13 pm

I'm a pretty decent Finnish speaker these days but one thing I still have trouble with is what case to use with each specific verb. For example 'huutaa', to shout, you need to put the subject into the allative '-lle' if it's a person. I learn these more or less by listening, asking and trying but many times I've wanted to have a decent source where I could look up the English or Finnish verb and find the correct following case. My current dictionary doesn't explain it though I've found one book that did it, albeit only from English to Finnish which isn't too handy.

Anyone have any good resources for this? Books, links, tables? Or even methods for learning these better would be appreciated.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Upphew

Re: Good source for Finnish verbs *with* correct subject cas

Post by Upphew » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 pm

LostOzzie wrote:I'm a pretty decent Finnish speaker these days but one thing I still have trouble with is what case to use with each specific verb. For example 'huutaa', to shout, you need to put the subject into the allative '-lle' if it's a person. I learn these more or less by listening, asking and trying but many times I've wanted to have a decent source where I could look up the English or Finnish verb and find the correct following case. My current dictionary doesn't explain it though I've found one book that did it, albeit only from English to Finnish which isn't too handy.

Anyone have any good resources for this? Books, links, tables? Or even methods for learning these better would be appreciated.
Correct following case depends what you try to say:
Huutaa taksille - to shout to a cab
Huutaa taksissa - to shout in a cab
Huutaa taksilla - to shout on/with/by a cab
Huutaa taksia - to shout/hail a cab
Huutaa taksina - to shout as a cab
Huutaa taksitta - to shout without a cab
etc.
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:48 pm

LostOzzie wrote:I'm a pretty decent Finnish speaker these days but one thing I still have trouble with is what case to use with each specific verb [...] Anyone have any good resources for this? Books, links, tables? Or even methods for learning these better would be appreciated.
Kimberli Mäkäräinen lists various verbs and the cases they call for on her website (see the links at the bottom of the page):

http://people.uta.fi/~km56049/finnish/cases.html
znark

MagicJ

Post by MagicJ » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:02 pm

ImageImage

LostOzzie

Post by LostOzzie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:53 am

Upphew wrote:
LostOzzie wrote:I'm a pretty decent Finnish speaker these days but one thing I still have trouble with is what case to use with each specific verb. For example 'huutaa', to shout, you need to put the subject into the allative '-lle' if it's a person. I learn these more or less by listening, asking and trying but many times I've wanted to have a decent source where I could look up the English or Finnish verb and find the correct following case. My current dictionary doesn't explain it though I've found one book that did it, albeit only from English to Finnish which isn't too handy.

Correct following case depends what you try to say:
Huutaa taksille - to shout to a cab
Huutaa taksissa - to shout in a cab
Huutaa taksilla - to shout on/with/by a cab
Huutaa taksia - to shout/hail a cab
Huutaa taksina - to shout as a cab
Huutaa taksitta - to shout without a cab
etc.
Of course, but most cases aren't used in day-to-day speech - the most useful and common usages of the verbs are what's important.

Thanks for the links, going to browse through them and see what they have.

LostOzzie

Post by LostOzzie » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:25 am

Linked list was good and was what I was after but doesn't lend itself to searching easily as you need to know the case first, which in my scenario I don't :). Also allative, at least, is missing.

The book sounds like it could be a winner:
Helppokäyttöisestä hakuteoksesta selviää noin 1 200 sanan rektio eli se, missä muodossa sana liittyy toiseen. Rektioita havainnollistavat käytännölliset esimerkkilauseet. Kaikille suomea vieraana kielenä opiskeleville. Koko B5.
Ruslania even has it, around the corner from my place so I'll drop by and check it out.

http://www.ruslania.com/language-4/enti ... -3722.html

LostOzzie

Post by LostOzzie » Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:49 am

Dropped by Ruslania, they had the Leila White book; very good and had what I was looking for: verbs listed with appropriate case type for the following subject, only problem was there was no English translation of the verb or example sentence. So not really suitable for beginners.