This and That, Here and There

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Rekkari

Re: This and That, Here and There

Post by Rekkari » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:57 am

Hmmm...

I come home, walk in the door, and don't see my wife. So I shout, "Missä sinä olet?" and she answers from the kitchen, "Minä olen täällä!". I hear her voice coming from the kitchen, so now I know where she is.

I don't understand what is 'stupid' about the above exchange. What's the problem?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:31 pm

Rekkari wrote:Hmmm...

I come home, walk in the door, and don't see my wife. So I shout, "Missä sinä olet?" and she answers from the kitchen, "Minä olen täällä!". I hear her voice coming from the kitchen, so now I know where she is.

I don't understand what is 'stupid' about the above exchange. What's the problem?
No problem at all. Except that in an actual conversation, the answer would likely be economized into just a single word instead of using a complete sentence: “Täällä!” (And in an actual, casual conversation, you’d probably say “Missä sä oot?”)

In case mere “Täällä!” wouldn’t suffice for an answer, you’d probably continue the dialog with “Missä ‘täällä’?”. The answer to that, in turn, would be something like “No täällä!”, or even “No täällä täällä!”, maybe with a tone of voice that hints it should be quite obvious where the speaker might be, or with an assumption that repeatedly hollering something (anything) would help you locate the person speaking without them having to bother explicitly state their whereabouts.

Or then again, you could get a more direct answer, such as “Keittiössä!
znark

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:50 am

jahasjahas wrote: See the previous thread siellä ja tuolla for some discussion.
This reminds me, I wonder whether Rob A ever got around to seeing The Man Who Wasn't There and how he liked it.

Just to add a little lateralism, I mean.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

Pursuivant

Post by Pursuivant » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:29 pm

Well, in French you ask "who is there" and the answer is "person" meaning nobody ;)
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."