Learning Finnish on a mobile app - a few questions

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
FireStar

Post by FireStar » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:55 am

Hello! I'm using an app called Finnish in a Month on my Android phone which works very well. The method includes listening and writing words and phrases and you actually learn rather quickly. Unfortunately, there are occasional errors so I decided to ask someone who's familiar with the language.

There was the phrase 'poikaa avaa tietokoneen'. Why is it poikaa instead of poika? Do subjects in a sentence get declined?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: Learning Finnish on a mobile app - a few questions

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:17 pm

FireStar wrote:There was the phrase 'poikaa avaa tietokoneen'. Why is it poikaa instead of poika?
That should be Poika avaa tietokoneen.
FireStar wrote:Do subjects in a sentence get declined?
Subjects can take the nominative, partitive, or genitive form depending on the type of sentence.

Viisi poikaa avaa tietokoneen would be correct.
znark

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:20 pm

Such a simple mistake makes me think that whoever checked the material isn't a native speaker or was really sloppy.

jahasjahas

Post by jahasjahas » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:35 pm

I downloaded the free version of the app, which includes lessons 1, 15 and 30.

It's bad and you shouldn't use it. They've just hired a cheap translator to translate their English templates into Finnish. There are quite a lot of grammatical mistakes and many of the sentences simply follow the English structure in a non-Finnish way.

Examples:

"Kolme kamelia makaavat hiekalla, kaksi seisovat." should be "Kolme kamelia makaa hiekalla ja kaksi seisoo."

"Nuori ihminen valokuvaa tyttöä pitkien hiusten kanssa." means "A young human photographs a girl using (his) long hair."

"Nainen ei juo viiniä, jotta voi hyvin ajaa autoa." means "The woman doesn't drink wine so that she can quite well drive a car."

"Mies haluaa lahjoittaa kukkia naiselle kauniissa mekossa. Hän pitää niitä selän takana, ja hän katsoo häneen ja nauraa." means "The man wants to donate flowers to the woman while he is wearing a beautiful dress. He/she keeps them behind his/her back and he/she looks at him/her and laughs."

FireStar

Post by FireStar » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:49 pm

Thanks to both of you. It's nasty that there are so many mistakes, any beginner would think it's a good app. Too bad.