Finnish women speak funny

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Papu

Post by Papu » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:33 am

I´ve noticed something about finnish women and wanted to know if others have made the same observation.

My girlfriend - and all women and girls in her family - have the weird ability/habit to speak while breathing in

When they talk, there will be NO pause for breathing and I always think someone´s suffocating :wink:

Funny enough she doesn´t do it when she speaks english or any other language....

Is this something special about finnish? Or have I stumbled onto some rare phenomenon?

Papu

Jabbadabbadooo

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:43 am

http://www.finlandjournal.com/article.php?type=e&id=27
Ah, one thing I must add though. The silence is gender-ralated. Somehow the silence genes are attached to the X and Y chromosomes because in Finnish women there is a wonderful and frightening ability to talk sentences without pausing, inhaling and exhaling the vowels and consonants so that the speech continues as a steady flow of... andreallyIthinkthatyoushouldcleanupafteryoushavethesinkisfull ofhairsandthenthemirrorisstainedandyouleftthetoiletseatupagain howmanytimesdoihavetotellyouaboutthatlikeIhaventtoldyouthatathous andtimesanditisdisgustingreallyyoudonotseemedoingthatnowdoyou...
Now this can also be used to explain the suicide rate of Finnish men, why there are 10:1 ratio of women to men in the 65+ age groups and why Finnish women marrying foreign men are so happy. Well, the first case is self-explanatory, as it relates to the second. The fast way out is far more desirable apparently than the slow lingering "death by nagging". And foreign men are happy as they cannot understand a word - and as Finnish women (due to the vindictive school teachers) dare not say too much in a foreign language as they are so afraid to make a grammar mistake the naggedyness in a foreign tongue is less evident. Divorces only happen if the men learn Finnish too fluently to actually pay attention to what she is saying...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Phil

Re: Finnish women speak funny

Post by Phil » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:26 am

Papu wrote: Is this something special about finnish? Or have I stumbled onto some rare phenomenon?
You've seen those Finnish words that are like 40 characters long, try saying about 10 of those in a row and see if you have to gasp for air. :)

I think if you have to gasp for air while talking, it's time to shut your trap!!

PeterF

Re: Finnish women speak funny

Post by PeterF » Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:07 am

Phil wrote:, it's time to shut your trap!!
Is it true Phil that the two most common Finnish phrases in your house are..

1: "turpa kiini."...Anja to you when you arrive home yet once more, pissed out of your brain, and splurt out excuse/reason number 121 once more. :roll:

2:" Puus kii."..Anja to Oggie when you ingnore the "turpa kiini" instruction and continue to babble on about your lost mobile phone (so you could not phone her) and that Hank/Gavin etc forced you to drink and poured the beer down your throat :lol:

Papu

Post by Papu » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:15 pm

are you trying to tell me that they don´t use this rare gift to further world peace, or to enter sped-reading-competitions,..... but to nag?

I guess I´d better watch out...

But at the rate that I´m learning finnish I´ll be safe for a while :D
Jabbadabbadooo

Sanna B.

Post by Sanna B. » Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:52 pm

My (german) husband and I also have noticed this phenomenon of finns - mostly women, but we do know men do it too - speaking while breathing in, and laughed a lot about it in the beginning :D
Then, after a couple of days in Finland, my husband started doing this :shock: - and he doesn't even speak finnish! And it happens every time we visit Finland... So probably this is contagious :mrgreen:

I'm happy not to have the disease, even though born in Finland :wink:
Sanna B.
Image-Image-Family

acwan

Post by acwan » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:59 am

Do men not nag? I thought it takes two to create a nag? :lol:

Ktulu

Post by Ktulu » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:50 pm

acwan wrote:Do men not nag? I thought it takes two to create a nag? :lol:
No, that's arguing :wink:

Bodybag

Post by Bodybag » Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:39 am

I thought it takes two to create a nag?
Quite right, If men didn't keep doing everything wrong, then there would be no need to nag.