Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:15 pm

znark

Koiruuksia

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PäähäniSattuu

Re: Koiruuksia

Post by PäähäniSattuu » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:30 am

Every possessive form of koiralle is missing.

Rekkari

Post by Rekkari » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:53 pm

PäähäniSattuu wrote:
Every possessive form of koiralle is missing.
The possessive forms of the allative case are not the only ones missing - so are those of the ablative (-lta/-ltä), illative, and all the plural possessive forms. And maybe the instructive case, too. I don't really know that case - can it have possessive suffixes?

PäähäniSattuu

Post by PäähäniSattuu » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:06 pm

Well, the joke is only mentioning the singulars. The instructive 'case' can never have a possessive form because it's not actually a case but an adverbial derivative.

maximumforum

Post by maximumforum » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:19 am

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 am

PäähäniSattuu wrote:Well, the joke is only mentioning the singulars. The instructive 'case' can never have a possessive form because it's not actually a case but an adverbial derivative.
I'm not sure I would try to explain it that way..... The instructive may not be a "full-blown" case but it still seems to fit into the hierarchy of cases rather than be considered an adverb or adverbial. Though, I suppose discussing this can degenerate into "tetrapyloctomy" pretty fast... ;)

But, yeah, possessive constructions with the instructive seem to go along different lines .... Elaa omin valloin. or nähdä omin silmin...

Here is a link to a previous FF thread on the instructive case:

https://www.finlandforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51173

And a link to what the authors call adverbial cases, though they explain that these are usually just regarded as adverbs and I suppose such "adverbs"are usually learned as fixed forms rather than as part of a case paradigm.

http://users.jyu.fi/~pamakine/kieli/suo ... rbien.html

I think too much is made of this case grammar..... Really, it's just another way of accomplishing what in English would take the form of a phrase, you know, Finnish says... taloon...English says...."into a house".... Which is more efficient? Is it even worth debating? ;)