Can you recommend me a good joke book in Finnish?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
olaszakos

Post by olaszakos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi!

My co-worker has quit his job to travel to Finland and start a life there. He's been studying Finnish for some time. I'm trying to find a cool good-bye gift for him and I've been thinking of getting him a joke book in Finnish language as he is notorious for telling bad/old jokes shamelessly every chance he gets. My problem is I have a hard time searching for books in Finnish as I do not speak it one bit.
Can you guys recommend me something that I can order in paper (not electronic format)? The more jokes the book has, the better :)

Thanks!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jahasjahas

Re: Can you recommend me a good joke book in Finnish?

Post by jahasjahas » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Where do you live? Most Finnish bookstores don't deliver abroad.

When you find a suitable store, search for "vitsi", "vitsit", "vitsikirja", etc. Doesn't matter which one you pick, I'm sure all of the jokes are equally bad. Source: I read a lot of joke books as a kid.

betelgeuse

Post by betelgeuse » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:11 pm

http://fingerpori.org

Fingerpori is great but it might be above his current language level (the author likes to play on words). Maybe something to strive for :)

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:30 pm

betelgeuse wrote:http://fingerpori.org

Fingerpori is great but it might be above his current language level (the author likes to play on words). Maybe something to strive for :)
There's a few good ones in english:
http://www.expat-finland.com/living_in_ ... rpori.html
I''ve even seen the first one in a brazilian site, so it may be more popular than we think!

Sami-Is-Boss

Post by Sami-Is-Boss » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:35 pm

I've got a Meganaurut at home - you might be able to pick one up on Ebay. It's 1,000 pages of pretty weak one-liners (~800 pages of which are aimed at the Swedes), but I reckon it will do the job perfectly

Jazqas

Post by Jazqas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:49 pm

That would be

Voisitko suositella minulle hyvää vitsikirjaa

Tips in bitcoin please.

Jazqas

Brent

Post by Brent » Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:26 pm

olaszakos wrote:Hi!

My co-worker has quit his job to travel to Finland and start a life there. He's been studying Finnish for some time. I'm trying to find a cool good-bye gift for him and I've been thinking of getting him a joke book in Finnish language as he is notorious for telling bad/old jokes shamelessly every chance he gets. My problem is I have a hard time searching for books in Finnish as I do not speak it one bit.
Can you guys recommend me something that I can order in paper (not electronic format)? The more jokes the book has, the better :)

Thanks!
Your best gift for him is sending him to a mental hospital for checkup. Why would anyone want come here?

Valinnan vapaus

Post by Valinnan vapaus » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:50 pm

Oooh... I've got just the thing for you:

Vitsit in English - Finnish Joke Book
Gummerus

"How was your trip to England? Did you have any problems with the language?"
-"I didn't, but the people there did."

And the rest of them are similarly good/bad. So they're all Finnish jokes each with a translation... I don't know how to come by it though. I happen to have one on my shelf for various reasons.