Finnishpod101??

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
harumi

Finnishpod101??

Post by harumi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I came across this website a few days ago. Seems like a good way to learn vocabulary and learn to make simple sentences. However, I am not sure if they are grammatically correct since I am obviously not Finnish. Any one can have a look at the website and comment on this, please?

Finnishpod101??

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

jahasjahas

Re: Finnishpod101??

Post by jahasjahas » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm not going to sign up, but I googled them.

The same company produces material for several languages. In fact the PC Magazine review they quote on the page is actually a review of their Japanese podcast (JapanPod101) that's been re-worded not to mention the language.

Their current business concept seems to be to offer a short free trial and then start to charge a monthly fee. It's up to you whether you consider this suspicious or reasonable. See, for example:
http://www.textfugu.com/bb/topic/japanesepod101-beware/

They have some Finnish videos on YouTube. On a quick glance, they seem reasonably well made and are read by a native Finnish speaker. Though it seemed to me that they use a common template for all languages, and ended up with some strange (though grammatically correct) constructions in the example sentences.