esiin vs. esille / muutaman vs. muutamia

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
ellunkana

Post by ellunkana » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Hei,

Onko jotain eroa?

1. tuoda/nostaa/tulla tms. esiin VAI esille?

2. Olen lukenut muutaman kirjan vs. muutamia kirjoja... / Haluan antaa sinulle muutaman neuvon...vs. muutamia neuvoja ?... Muutamia neuvoja ei kuulosta hyvältä. Mitä mieltä olette?

Kiitos.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: esiin vs. esille / muutaman vs. muutamia

Post by onkko » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:01 pm

First is countable, second is uncountable.

You want uncountable if you dont have exact amount or exact "thing".

Its not clear cut but thats principle.

nostan esineen esiin/nostan esineen esille = In first case you know what "esine" is, in second case you dont

Muutamia neuvoja sounds good, muutaman neuvon says there is not exact amount of "neuvoja". You can use "neuvoja" but only if there is exact amount of "neuvo", what i dont see happening. Surely by basics so dont run with scrissors but...

Now we wait others to chime in to explain, i just know i cant explain :D
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:39 am

ellunkana wrote:Onko jotain eroa?

1. tuoda/nostaa/tulla tms. esiin VAI esille?
En näe juuri käytännön eroa.

Käyttäisin ehkä itse sanaa "esiin" silloin, kun jokin asia on passiivisesti ja vailla nimenomaista tarkoitusta noussut esiin, tullut esiin — jonkin toisen asian käsittelyn yhteydessä. Sanaa "esille" käyttäisin ennemminkin silloin, kun asia on aktiivisemmin (määrätietoisemmin, nimenomaisella tarkoituksella) nostettu esille, tuotu esille: nähtäville, silmien alle tarkasteltavaksi.

Mutta näitä käytetään kyllä nähdäkseni täysin ristiin.
ellunkana wrote:2. Olen lukenut muutaman kirjan vs. muutamia kirjoja... / Haluan antaa sinulle muutaman neuvon...vs. muutamia neuvoja ?... Muutamia neuvoja ei kuulosta hyvältä. Mitä mieltä olette?
"Muutaman kirjan", "muutaman neuvon" on rajattu joukko. Ehkä kirjoittajalla tai puhujalla on mielessään neuvojen tai kirjojen täsmällinen tai todennäköinen määrä, vaikka sitä ei suoraan sanotakaan. "Muutamia kirjoja", "muutamia neuvoja" on avoimempi ja epämääräisempi joukko, kuten partitiiville yleensä luonteenomaista onkin. Vielä ei ole kovin hyvin hahmottunut, monestako puhutaan.
znark

Rob A.

Post by Rob A. » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:04 pm

This is a really good example of the subtleties you can get into....

I'm not sure how you can remember these distinctions following the application of the rules of grammar.... I think in the end you just have to practice enough to be recognize how each of the words are used and the sense they convey.

Focussing on esiin and esille...in grammatical terms, both of these are adverbs and both can decline and take other forms in a sentence, presumably with a range of nuances of meaning. And you probably have to be a native speaker to really be able to get the full range of meaning out of all of these forms.

It relates basically, though, to "definiteness" and "indefiniteness"....and the way in which Finnish goes about conveying this. English does it in different ways....using articles and context and I suppose certain adjectives..... Finnish does some of that way and also brings in case paradigm....

I think in the end with these kinds of subtleties you just have to practice and not mind making errors until you get it right..... Going the "grammar route" will eventually drive you crazy, unless you have a strong academic bent, that is..... :)