Flour and Treacle

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
becca

Flour and Treacle

Post by becca » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:38 pm

Well, see, one is having a small coffee and cake party at one's new apartment, and decided to make a nice malt loaf. For the recipe I need self-raising flour and treacle (there are other things as well, but this is not relevant).

I searched Euromarket in vain for something resembling treacle. They must have it somewhere, but what is it called? I asked, but was met with bemused looks. So what is treacle called in Finland? Anyone?

And which of the various flours is self-raising?

Advice appreciated!

B.

Flour and Treacle

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:45 pm

Treacle is...melassi...I have seen but cannot for the life of me remember where..
On the subject of which flour...sorry ask one of the ladies...
************************'''
Edit.. was it in that shop down stairs in the Kämp Hotel shopping centre that sells all sort of American food??
Opps you are in Oulu...
Try PM to Caroline if she does not know where to buy it in Oulu then it is not for sale there.
bb/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=397
Last edited by PeterF on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:54 pm

Too many fancy words. I'd be given you a weird look as well - too small dictionary... Ok, laughing is because for "molasses" you have to go to an animal feed store atleast in Finland. Now "dark cane syrup" I think is what you would maybe find. I'd just use farine sugar. And where you would find it: you go in the store to the place where your teeth drop off: there is honey, there is soft sugar there is lumped sugar... then you let your eye wonder. Usually you have 2-3 bransa of various stuff. Syrup comes in something looking like a milk carton. Or in a plastic jar - and you can find an overpriced jar of maple syrup - even in a KK-market. magic words: siirappi, melassi, fariinisokeri, tumma ruokosiirappi...

itsenostattava /itsekohottava is what the flour says to be self-propelling

And yeah, Caroline is in the bakery business so she'd be an expert in whatever this and that stuff is called :wink:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:57 pm

I have no idea about the treacle ... but self-rising flour just consists of 2 cups regular flour mixed with 1 tablespoon of baking powder (leivinjauhe) and 1 teaspoon of salt ... so you can easily "make" it at home without the hastle of finding it in the store.

becca

Post by becca » Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:20 pm

Laughed at by HankW! I have arrived!!

You are all welcome to come round, Saturday at 17,00. Bring a good book. Thanks for the help!

:D

mookoo

Post by mookoo » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:41 am

Cory wrote:
mookoo wrote:I have no idea about the treacle ... but self-rising flour just consists of 2 cups regular flour mixed with 1 tablespoon of baking powder (leivinjauhe) and 1 teaspoon of salt ... so you can easily "make" it at home without the hastle of finding it in the store.
I use 2 tsps of baking powder to 1 cup of flour. No salt.

Cory
And your cakes don't jump out of the pan? :lol: I guess baking is far from an exact science.