Monolingual online dictionary

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
CristinaC

Post by CristinaC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:25 am

Hei!

I'd like to know what's the most comprehensive monolingual Finnish dictionary online. For those of you who speak German, it should be like Duden dictionary.
Until now I've used snakirja.org and sometimes suomisanakirja.fi, but the more options, the better :D
Thanks to all who will help me! :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

onkko

Re: Monolingual online dictionary

Post by onkko » Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:56 am

What you want is http://www.kielikone.fi/fi/tuotesivu/?intProductID=394 but thats expensive :(
That is from "Institute for the Languages of Finland" so its as official as it can be tho.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Post by 007 » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:26 pm

“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

CristinaC

Post by CristinaC » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:53 pm

Thanks to both of you! :D

Ensamvargen

Post by Ensamvargen » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:24 pm

onkko wrote:What you want is http://www.kielikone.fi/fi/tuotesivu/?intProductID=394 but thats expensive :(
That is from "Institute for the Languages of Finland" so its as official as it can be tho.
Hei Onkko!

I just want to be sure that this is the most comprehensive Modern Finnish Dictionary on the market to date. I can see it on Akateeminen's website (Kielitoimiston sanakirja 1-3) for only 63,90 EUR and that it only consists of 100 000 entries. Unless I am mistaken about the product you indicated in your post. I would really like to master the Finnish language and have at my fintertips ALL words and expression, slang, relgionalisms, etc. as well as all other terms of course :) I am a Swede living in Australia at the moment and the most comprehensive dictionary I can purchase down here is a tiny yellow dictionary by Berlitz :?

I would be very grateful for any further help with this. I heard that Kielitoimiston sanakirja is supposed to have at least 200 000 headwords but, according the the product info, it only has 100 000 :(

Thank you in advance :wink:

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:55 pm

Ensamvargen wrote:I just want to be sure that this is the most comprehensive Modern Finnish Dictionary on the market to date. I can see it on Akateeminen's website (Kielitoimiston sanakirja 1-3) for only 63,90 EUR and that it only consists of 100 000 entries.
Kielitoimiston sanakirja has just recently been released as a web-based, free online version:

http://www.kielitoimistonsanakirja.fi/
Ensamvargen wrote:Unless I am mistaken about the product you indicated in your post. I would really like to master the Finnish language and have at my fintertips ALL words and expression, slang, relgionalisms, etc. as well as all other terms of course :)
There’s Nykysuomen sanakirja as well. It has more comprehensive explanations for many of the older words, and over 200,000 entries, but it was never edited or updated since it was first published in 1951—1961, so it does not cover modern usage. And it’s only available in print.

(So why didn’t they base Kielitoimiston sanakirja on the corpus of Nykysuomen sanakirja? A good question. I have no idea.)
znark

onkko

Post by onkko » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:07 pm

Ensamvargen wrote:
onkko wrote:What you want is http://www.kielikone.fi/fi/tuotesivu/?intProductID=394 but thats expensive :(
Hei Onkko!

I just want to be sure that this is the most comprehensive Modern Finnish Dictionary on the market to date. I can see it on Akateeminen's website (Kielitoimiston sanakirja 1-3) for only 63,90 EUR and that it only consists of 100 000 entries. Unless I am mistaken about the product you indicated in your post. I would really like to master the Finnish language and have at my fintertips ALL words and expression, slang, relgionalisms, etc. as well as all other terms of course :) I am a Swede living in Australia at the moment and the most comprehensive dictionary I can purchase down here is a tiny yellow dictionary by Berlitz :?

I would be very grateful for any further help with this. I heard that Kielitoimiston sanakirja is supposed to have at least 200 000 headwords but, according the the product info, it only has 100 000 :(

Thank you in advance :wink:
As said in other post. Kielitoimisto (language office) is source of "proper" finnish and yes it is goverment owned but while i do have "revolutional" thoughts and most of goverment should be nuked it is something would like to fund.
If you want more then there is not, there isnt translation for homonaama or vittuperkeleenhobo. Language evolves and kielitoimisto isnt proactive because they have to wait years if not decades to see if thats really new word.

It is most comprehensive but it lacks "your ass, yolo!" stuff.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum

Jukka Aho

Post by Jukka Aho » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:14 pm

There’s an online dictionary for dialectal words as well...

http://kaino.kotus.fi/sms/

...and an unofficial urban/youth slang/colloquialisms dictionary, which is based solely on user contributions:

http://urbaanisanakirja.com/browse/
znark