Finnish nicknames for boyfriend

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Myriamj

Post by Myriamj » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:39 am

Hello everyone!
So I'm French and my boyfriend is Finnish and it's always easier for him to find nicknames for me in french than it is for me in Finnish. (He gets helped by all my friends and google translate) . The internet hasn't helped much. Basically I'm very confused with how Finnish works. His name is Nico if that helps... I'd be glad if anyone could give me some information.

Thank you!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Beep_Boop

Re: Finnish nicknames for boyfriend

Post by Beep_Boop » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Nico is already a hypocorism of Nikolas. Any pet name or nickname would make it silly. I recommend using a classics like "kulta", "rakas", or even "pupu" while your relationship develop and you have more natural way to introduce nicknames. When I dated an Italian girl she called me "Adnanio" (ad-hoc Italian way to say my name), and I loved it! My ex back in Syria used to call me "Adnani" which translates to "My Adnan" in a cutesy way. What I'm saying is that anything you use will be cute and nice.

Juse use anything that relates to you two. That's far better than what strangers on the Internet would tell you.
Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Pursuivant

Re: Finnish nicknames for boyfriend

Post by Pursuivant » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:01 pm

Hanipupu ihqudaa, housut pois - miut naetattaa! :twisted:
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."