vakka = vaikka?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Rekkari

vakka = vaikka?

Post by Rekkari » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:03 pm

In Yle Uutiset selkosuomeksi - Keskiviikko 18.2.2015, the second sentence of the last paragraph of the third article (Hän ei ole yksin, vaikka ystäviä ei näy.), I hear the reporter clearly saying vakka (without the diphthong) rather than the expected vaikka.

Is vaikka ever pronounced vakka, like, for example punainen can be pronounced punanen in the Helsinki dialect?

Just wondering...

vakka = vaikka?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sotka_

Re: vakka = vaikka?

Post by sotka_ » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:20 pm

Rekkari wrote:Is vaikka ever pronounced vakka, like, for example punainen can be pronounced punanen in the Helsinki dialect?
No.
"Elämme kovia aikoja, ystävä hyvä."

Jukka Aho

Re: vakka = vaikka?

Post by Jukka Aho » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:28 pm

Rekkari wrote:In Yle Uutiset selkosuomeksi - Keskiviikko 18.2.2015, the second sentence of the last paragraph of the third article (Hän ei ole yksin, vaikka ystäviä ei näy.)
In other words, the point 03:38 in the embedded audio clip.
Rekkari wrote:I hear the reporter clearly saying vakka (without the diphthong) rather than the expected vaikka
You’re correct, he pronounces that word in a sloppy way. It sounds strange and off to my native ear as well.
Rekkari wrote:Is vaikka ever pronounced vakka, like, for example punainen can be pronounced punanen in the Helsinki dialect?
Doesn’t sound like a commonly accepted or understood pronunciation to me. More like a random glitch in the matrix, I guess.
znark