Translation Finnish - Am.English

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Tommy

Post by Tommy » Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:13 pm

Anyone from USA who could help me to translate my CV and "Letter of Motivation" to English ? I'm applying to an American company. I've tried some translation offices without success. Compensation !

Tommy

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Aug 27, 2003 6:30 pm

Ok so I know what a 'letter of motivation' is, but unless the American firm specifically asked for it, I don't think that they will...

You might want to lay your hands on some information about American and probably British style CV's and covering letters.

This site is a decent start: http://jobsearch.about.com/cs/curriculumvitae/

nehia_qom

Post by nehia_qom » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:06 pm

Most american companies that I know of ask for a resume and cover letter (is that what you mean?).

Jessica

When choosing between two evils, always choose the one you haven't tried yet.
- Mae West

Tommy

Post by Tommy » Wed Aug 27, 2003 8:20 pm

Thanks for a hint to look at that site! I found some good information about CV's and covering letters. The firm specifically asked a 'letter of motivation' because I'm applying to a trainee program.

-T-

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Aug 27, 2003 11:41 pm

"The main reason why am I applying to this kind of a !"#¤% job headed by incompetent nincompoops is that I wish to escape -40F weather, 22% VAT and $4 bucks a gallon gas for the time required for me to find some dumb blond, get a green card and tell Mr. Vanhanen what I think of his antics."

...then again, I wouldn't be asked now would I.

I think Phil might have some exaples of such 'suckemup' -letters applying to college??.

Just after you have the yankee write you your letter, get some who knows their grammar and spelling to proofread it :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

godenies

Post by godenies » Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:56 pm

Lol at Hank.. that is so true about the grammar! I've been doing some translating (not a pro though), so if you still need help Tommy.. I'm here!

Mari

Juha H.

Post by Juha H. » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:41 pm

This list of official translators might be helpful: http://www.lexitec.fi/translators-h.html

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:45 pm

Hank W. wrote:"The main reason why am I applying to this kind of a =)(/& job headed by incompetent nincompoops is that I wish to escape -40F weather, 22% VAT and $4 bucks a gallon gas for the time required for me to find some dumb blond, get a green card and tell Mr. Vanhanen what I think of his antics."
That is about as motivational as you can get. 8)
NICE QUOTE HANK!!! :D
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?