definition of word question

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
tuulen

Post by tuulen » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:34 am

In Lapland the word kaira translates into English as meaning wilderness, as of out in the middle of nowhere.

But could kairi also translate as meaning wilderness? I can not find sanakirjassa definition of kairi but maybe kairi is a regional variation of kaira spelling?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jukka Aho

Re: definition of word question

Post by Jukka Aho » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:14 pm

tuulen wrote:In Lapland the word kaira translates into English as meaning wilderness, as of out in the middle of nowhere.

But could kairi also translate as meaning wilderness? I can not find sanakirjassa definition of kairi but maybe kairi is a regional variation of kaira spelling?
For what it’s worth, I never knew the word kaira has that meaning as well, but according to Google you’re correct. As you suggest, it is probably a somewhat regional word when used that way.

In my usage, kaira has only ever been the name for this tool:

http://samfishing.fi/kauppa/index.php?cPath=67_154_163

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mibx_Co03Fw&t=4s

I have never heard the word kairi.
znark

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:56 am

Kiitos, Jukka!

My dictionary is a 1984 WSOY edition of Uusi Suomi-Englanti Suur-Sanakirja of 1.446 pages and I also have its mate edition going from English to Finnish. It is a good dictionary although initially it did take some while for me to figure out how to use it and how to get the most out of it.

tuttu

Post by tuttu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:01 pm

my oldish wsoy suursanakirja has kaira in it, with both definitions (yours and jukka aho's), but not kairi.

i think i heard the word kaira in some värttinä song...

tuulen

Post by tuulen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:37 am

Yes, I can recall the Värttinä song that you mentioned, from many years ago, and I believe the kaira reference in that song was to wilderness.

There is a river in southeastern Lappi by the name of Kairijoki and the headwaters, at the highest elevation of that river, begin in genuine wilderness and so I was wondering whether kairi could be an ancient or a regional spelling, murre, of kaira. That seems possible.

onkko

Post by onkko » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:14 pm

Kairi is womans name. Kaira is "untouched" wilderness.
Thats what came first on my mind, i checked and there is under 179 kairi as woman and few as man. Kaira is something i dont have a doubt.

I have no idea if kairi and kaira have anything to do with each other.
Caesare weold Graecum, ond Caelic Finnum