Help with Finnish grammar?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
leypakkanen

Post by leypakkanen » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Are there any good websites that explain Finnish grammar? I'm having a hard time with figuring out all the different inflections like the differences between minä, minulla,minun,minut,minua,minussa,minuun etc. I don't mean with just minä but basically any word. Whenever I ask my mom about the differences and why you use for instance minut instead of minulla all she can say is "that's just how it is", which isn't very helpful.. I'm moving to Finland in about 5 months and I want to at least be able to make simple conversation by then. I've just been learning a lot of words but I can't form any sentences without knowing at least the basics of grammar. Any sentences I already know are just ones that I memorized and I'd rather understand what I'm saying instead of just repeating sentences I've memorized. Any tips? Sorry for being vague I just don't really know where to start with this. Any help is extremely appreciated!!!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

judderbar

Re: Help with Finnish grammar?

Post by judderbar » Fri Nov 25, 2016 4:06 pm

The American Foreign Service institute produced an intensive Finnish course for diplomats and the armed forces in the 1980's which can be used for self study. Full text for both books. Huge audio there as well.

https://www.livelingua.com/project/fsi/Finnish/

The course is comprehensive so might give you what you want. It is not very user friendly though and you will need to be disciplined to stick with it I am thinking.

Currently I am using Suomen Mestari book one. There are more advanced books 2 and 3 as well. There is online audio for the course.

http://suomenmestari.fi/aanitteet/suomen-mestari-1/

There are the memrise memorising tools which you might know about already

http://www.memrise.com/course/909685/su ... ll-book-1/

Finnish is complicated so your mother is probably right. Dont think about it too much and just accept it is complicated and do what you can before you come to Finland where remembering phrases will not be wasted.

Re: Help with Finnish grammar?

Post by 007 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:51 pm

leypakkanen wrote:Are there any good websites that explain Finnish grammar? I'm having a hard time with figuring out all the different inflections like the differences between minä, minulla,minun,minut,minua,minussa,minuun etc. I don't mean with just minä but basically any word. Whenever I ask my mom about the differences and why you use for instance minut instead of minulla all she can say is "that's just how it is", which isn't very helpful.. I'm moving to Finland in about 5 months and I want to at least be able to make simple conversation by then. I've just been learning a lot of words but I can't form any sentences without knowing at least the basics of grammar. Any sentences I already know are just ones that I memorized and I'd rather understand what I'm saying instead of just repeating sentences I've memorized. Any tips? Sorry for being vague I just don't really know where to start with this. Any help is extremely appreciated!!!
Have you checked out stickies at kielikoulu section of this forum? You can find lots of good links there. You can also ask Finnish language related questions here as you go along with your practices. Also, you can join various facebook groups where you can ask questions.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"