Best textbooks for intermediate/advanced Finnish?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
lily_of_the_valley

Post by lily_of_the_valley » Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some good textbooks for intermediate/advanced Finnish, particularly those which focus on more complex grammar? I'd like to get one for Christmas (yes, I know, such an exciting choice!).

I've currently got Teach Yourself Finnish by Terttu Leney from the library but it doesn't go as far as I'd like. I've had to skip through most of the book, so if I'm going to spend money on a textbook I'd like to get as much out of it as possible.

Any recommendations would be fantastic!

Kiitos :D

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Pursuivant

Re: Best textbooks for intermediate/advanced Finnish?

Post by Pursuivant » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:27 pm

Most of the 'complex' grammar books are in Finnish...
"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes."

leisl

Post by leisl » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:36 pm

Although I can't really recommend the "textbook" by her, Kieli käyttöön 2 - Marjukka Kenttälä is pretty great for rote practice of the grammar (make sure it's the correct one, it's the one with pages & pages of exercises and blank lines for you to write the answers. This is around level A2.2 to B1.1 if I remember right. Teach Yourself, I'm pretty sure, is easier.

Susanna Hart's "Suomea Paremmin" if you're looking for puhekieli. This might be a little bit tough if you haven't had much exposure to everyday language, though. Leila White's "From Start To Finnish" might be what you're after.

Steer clear of "An Essential Grammar", people keep lauding it as the definitive grammar book, but it's so incredibly non-user-friendly for a learner of the language and is obviously written for linguists.

All of these you can peek inside and see the contents pages on Amazon, even if you don't end up buying from there. I'd have a look and see which ones match your understanding.

lily_of_the_valley

Post by lily_of_the_valley » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:19 pm

The Kieli käyttöön 2 exercise book sounds like a good one for me, thanks. I can get the hubby to check my work - he enjoys the opportunity to correct me :D

I'm moreso looking for kirjakieli so that I can read and write more formal texts. Puhekieli doesn't need as much close study as much of my Finnish was learnt at school with a bunch of teenagers.

It's interesting to hear your opinion of An Essential Grammar... I read the description of the 3rd edition and they claim that it is explained in an accessible way with lots of examples, so I thought it sounded promising. Is it an older version that you've used?

Haven't had a chance to peruse the pages on Amazon yet but it's a great idea, thanks!