Someone can translate this?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
matsnorberg

Post by matsnorberg » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:33 pm

Can you translate this sentence.

Toisen neljänneksen tuloskausi ei täysin yltänyt analyytikoiden odotuksiin: yrityksistä 58 prosentilla liikevaihto jäi ennusteista, 67 prosentilla ...

Particularly what does tuloskausi mean in this context?

Mats

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Re: Someone can translate this?

Post by 007 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:21 pm

matsnorberg wrote:Can you translate this sentence.

Toisen neljänneksen tuloskausi ei täysin yltänyt analyytikoiden odotuksiin: yrityksistä 58 prosentilla liikevaihto jäi ennusteista, 67 prosentilla ...

Rough translation as I am not a native nor an expert ;)

F: Toisen neljänneksen tuloskausi ei täysin yltänyt analyytikoiden odotuksiin: yrityksistä 58 prosentilla liikevaihto jäi ennusteista, 67 prosentilla ...

E: Second-quarter earnings season didn't meet analysts' expectations: turnover of 58% of the companies fell short of forecasts, 67% had ........

Above sentence is quite rich in grammars for language learners. Hope someone can explain it better.

Meanwhile, let's see for the sake of discussion.
1) Toisen neljänneksen tuloskausi. This is a technical term and obviously requires some basic financial knowledge to understand this...
2) ei yltänyt. This verb as I found is an intransitive. Hence, analyytikoiden odotuksiin is not an object.
3) prosentilla liikevaihto jäi. I like this part of Finnish language and I often find it very confusion also. Minulla jäi, minulle jäi etc. :)
Particularly what does tuloskausi mean in this context?
tulos + kausi = earning period/season. This is a financial jargon and in English, it seems to be in plural ie. earnings season.

ADD:
From investopedia:
"Earnings season is the period of time during which a large number of publicly traded companies release their quarterly earning reports."
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

AldenG

Post by AldenG » Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:03 am

It sounds like a Finnish rendition of the usual "second-quarter earnings didn't quite live up to investors' expectations."

I say "sounds" but I'm going only from what's written here, can't go to the audio right now.

If you must say "earnings period" at all, rather than just naming the quarter (the most commonly discussed of earnings periods) then I would include the 's' -- at least in the American context.

There's a semantic difference between an earning period (an ad hoc term) and an earnings period, an established financial concept. It's also a reporting period.
As he persisted, I was obliged to tootle him gently at first and then, seeing no improvement, to trumpet him vigorously with my horn.

matsnorberg

Post by matsnorberg » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks for your translation.
I realize now that neljännes here is short for neljännesvuosi, a quarter of a year.
I guess that in my own native tonge, swedish, tuoluskausi could be translated as
kvartalsrapport.

Mats