Did you pass YKI kirjoittaminen? if yes, share experience

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Beep_Boop

Re: Did you pass YKI kirjoittaminen? if yes, share experien

Post by Beep_Boop » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:07 pm

oknida wrote:Hi, I got my YKI results last week (keskitaso, test day 7.10.2017), and I got all 4's.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I went to the test with no idea what to expect and I was pretty lost, so if I can help anyone to feel a bit more confident on the day of the test, let me know!
Congratulations!

Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Re: Did you pass YKI kirjoittaminen? if yes, share experien

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Piapia

Re: Did you pass YKI kirjoittaminen? if yes, share experience

Post by Piapia » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:14 pm

Hei guys, I passed the YKI-test with all 3s in April 2017. Here are the questions:

1- write a short message to a friend and cancel a meeting, find the reason by yourself (I cancelled meeting with friend for a coffee, and mentioned that my bro. was sick and had to look after him, and offered to meet on some other day)
2- write an email to a customer service (verkkokauppa) for a product you ordered online, and mention about a problem (I wrote the coffee machine that I ordered from the webstore was broken, and wanted to change it with a new one)
3-write an assay about sport opportunities in Finland (I wrote more than 1 page text, I am sure there were mistakes in grammar, but the text was meaningful and related with the sports.. and I even mentioned why I moved to Finland, what were my interests in sports (kuntasali, painonnosto etc), and was looking for new hobbies, then found out several new sport ideas here like luistelu, jääkiekko etc.)

There were 2 options regarding the topics for the 1st and 3rd text, so I picked the easier one for myself.

Hope this post helps to you! Good luck!

ozil-madrid

Post by ozil-madrid » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:39 pm

hey!

Can people advise if the exam is easier or harder than the preperation materials that are online for yki test ?

What book have they studied? for example till suomen mestari 3 was enough or what is your experience ?

Thanks!

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:59 pm

ozil-madrid wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:39 pm
hey!

Can people advise if the exam is easier or harder than the preperation materials that are online for yki test ?

What book have they studied? for example till suomen mestari 3 was enough or what is your experience ?

Thanks!
To be honest exam has pretty much nothing to do with the "Suomen Mestari 1-2-3-4-infinity".. Those books tells you mostly about the grammar. In Exam you would need stamina (To read fast <during the reading part of the exam>), learn to understand and answer the questions and try to answer all the questions. I know a lot of people who were focusing on the grammar part so much, they were unable to complete the exam. Some of them passed, some of them didn't. I pretty much know nothing about the grammar, but I passed somehow. I mainly focused on speaking a lot (which helped me to read and write better) and mostly try to understand the daily conversations. Online material is good, but sometimes it goes overboard. Sometimes things are way too easy and sometimes they are waaay too hard (online material). If you think you are good enough, than I would say go and take the mock exam. It will give you idea on how to give answers within the time limit. That is the biggest issue for me. Once you learn the pattern, you can prepare yourself better for the exam.

For me it was a bit hard, I am not used to read long passages in Finnish, so the reading part took so much time. Writing part was easy and there was plenty of time to write everything. I don't remember the topics, it was couple of years ago, but I remember it was easy. Listening was pain in the a**. You hear a lot of different voices and you have to learn how to let go the answers which you weren't able to do previously. And lastly speaking, umm you'll get the topic and you'll answer. Quite simple. In all this process, you will have a pencil and a notebook and machines? There will be no human interaction :D so, learn how to be one with machines :D:D:D

In general it was easy, and I would recommend reading a blog (Random Finnish Lesson) it helped me and listen some random conversations. I watched a lot of standup comedians on Youtube, I didn't understand everything, but it was good enough to pass the exam. Good Luck :o

ozil-madrid

Post by ozil-madrid » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Thank you!!! Btw did you study before suomen mestari 1,2,3 ? I was just wondering if the vocabulary offered in those books is enough to understand the texts as well as understand the hearing questions.

Also any tips on how to do the exam? do you have time to read the questions before they talk in the listening part, or do you need to read questions in the same time while they're talking and try to catch up :D!!!

Thank you again for your effort and reply!

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:49 pm

ozil-madrid wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:07 pm
Thank you!!! Btw did you study before suomen mestari 1,2,3 ? I was just wondering if the vocabulary offered in those books is enough to understand the texts as well as understand the hearing questions.

Also any tips on how to do the exam? do you have time to read the questions before they talk in the listening part, or do you need to read questions in the same time while they're talking and try to catch up :D!!!

Thank you again for your effort and reply!
Hei, I think I tried to read Suomen Mestari 1 (Once upon a time), but I never finished it. I think I mostly learnt from Google Translate. I would often write a passage in English ( I often use very simple English) and try to translate (I know Google isn't perfect, but I wasn't looking for perfection) I just wanted to get the ball rolling. And to be honest, these books (Suomen Mestari etc) makes me depress. And these books became such a norm when it comes to language, that often people think that if you don't know these books, you can never learn the language.. (which is not true in my case).

When it comes to vocabulary, it can be good from anywhere. The best thing I got out from these books were the vocabulary. (if you search online, you'll find the vocabulary lists easily from these books). I did take a course for maybe couple of months and they only focused on speaking and it was online. You can search Gimara Oy and you'll see their websites ( I would recommend) because they will help you to learn the pattern of the exam. Even though I was never good at language learning, those guys kinda made me realize how important is to speak and with speaking my skills got better. I still can't write Finnish :D I think I can't even write English, because I didn't learn English in a traditional way.. So I have no idea when it comes to Grammar for English as well.

And don't worry, there will be plenty of time to read and write. But what I did wrong, I would hung up on the previous question ( I was super slow) and I would miss the next listening / speaking part and it would mess my rhythm up.

The test is tricky (if you learn only from books) but once you know what you're doing, it becomes easier. The main idea is to understand the question, because it will confuse you. Once you know what they are asking, it is super easy to answer. I passed the test in first attempt with couple of months practice from "0" and by not studying from books. So I believe you can do much better if you already have some knowledge. Even today I know nothing about the grammar, especially the endings, but somehow I can communicate and read little bit. You can also check some Youtube channels, I found one which is really easy to follow (Finnished) , the girl speaks really slow and it is not boring at all ... soo Good luck for your exam and stuff.

ozil-madrid

Post by ozil-madrid » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am

Thanks a lot!!! :))) any updates from anyone else, how was the test and what kind of topics where there ? :lightbulb: :lightbulb: :lightbulb: :thumbsup:

Brenta3

Post by Brenta3 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 pm

Thank you all! This was very insightful!
Did anyone attend the 25.1.2020 test? Any information about the topics?

rickx1234

Post by rickx1234 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:52 am

Brenta3 wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:14 pm
Thank you all! This was very insightful!
Did anyone attend the 25.1.2020 test? Any information about the topics?
Had my first YKI test on 31.8.2019 but the result was a disgrace (alle 3, alle 3, 3, 3). Since the results did not meet the citizenship's requirement, I enrolled for the second attempt on 25.1.2020 and surprisingly the result was released in the first week of March and it turned out much better (3, 3, 4, 4).

I did not remember exactly all topics covered but personally tekstin ymmärtäminen and kirjoittaminen were quite easy.

Tekstin ymmärtäminen - advertisement, promotions of a product
Puheen ymmärtäminen - daily life topics, interviews, transport ticket purchase, announcement in shopping mall
Puhuminen - retired age, retirement life, conversation with shop assistant for buying washing machine, report luggage loss to the airline agent
Kirjoittaminen - 1. return of an item borrowed from a friend but he/she was not at home when you visited, write him/her a note to thank him/her and express your gratitude. 2. your child has been learning a musical instrument at a music school/learning centre but for some reason (you name it) your child has to unfortunately quit it. Write a letter to the teacher concerned with reasons for withdrawing from practising music, meanwhile the letter should include your gratitude to the teacher and the performance your child has so far made. 3. Are women and men equally empowered in general in jobs / work performances. Give your opinions with justifications.

RafTor

Post by RafTor » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:10 pm

I speak fluently and knew enough to pass the test but last year I decided to take a course to improve my writing and fix some of the mistakes I've solidified - most of my learning has been at work, and I def miss proper intermediate instruction. I was shocked how some of those attending the course knew so little. I know people who passed the exam and are unable to speak a sentence, but I expected these to at least have the basis covered and know basic grammar and vocab. The prep course was pretty useful, even if it was way too much geared to "test taking" rather than learning the skills the test measures. Got all 4's last year, not sure would get it without this prep course.

YKI doesn't so much measure your language level as it does your ability to do well in tests, and that is how some people pass it without knowing much while others keep on failing while having a much better grasp of the language.