Did you pass YKI kirjoittaminen? if yes, share experience

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
Beep_Boop

Re: Did you pass YKI kirjoittaminen? if yes, share experien

Post by Beep_Boop » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:35 pm

It's absolutely accepted, and indeed expected, that you'd make lots of grammar mistakes while writing and speaking answers in the YKI intermediate exam. "Passing" the YKI exam for citizenship shouldn't be confused with mastering the language.

Every case is unique. You can't measure the result of your application based on arbitrary anecdotes online.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jake23

Post by Jake23 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:39 pm

thank you guys for sharing experience! I wonder if someone passed without even writing one of the writing tasks, email/feedback/opinion?

the whole point to understand how it's evaluated, like I've mentioned I've passed in spring listening part with barely understanding 70% of it and the reading part( what is the easiest part in my opinion) but failed on speaking and writing, so a bit unclear how the exam is really evaluated...

Upphew

Post by Upphew » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am

Jake23 wrote:thank you guys for sharing experience! I wonder if someone passed without even writing one of the writing tasks, email/feedback/opinion?

the whole point to understand how it's evaluated, like I've mentioned I've passed in spring listening part with barely understanding 70% of it and the reading part( what is the easiest part in my opinion) but failed on speaking and writing, so a bit unclear how the exam is really evaluated...
www.oph.fi/english/services/yki/test_levels
http://google.com http://translate.google.com http://urbandictionary.com
Visa is for visiting, Residence Permit for residing.

mdn

Post by mdn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:35 pm

By that table (pdf with levels) it is hard to say - is it A2 or B1, for example. :)

Regarding to the initial question - also the next link:
http://www.oph.fi/english/services/yki/ ... iate_level
"Writing
It is advised to write more rather than less. However, the tasks are not evaluated by the length of the text, so one should not over lengthen them.
"

Jake23

Post by Jake23 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:49 pm

@mdn, yes I saw that but there was no clear explanation how they grade the writing part, do they have point calculation system or its purely based on examiner's opinion to decide it weather it's a2 b1 or b2...

mdn

Post by mdn » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:56 pm

1 more link - to Council of Europe: Self-assessment grid - Table 2 (CEFR 3.3) : Common Reference levels.

English version for Writing.
  • A1: I can write a short, simple postcard, for example sending holiday greetings. I can fill in forms with personal details, for example entering my name, nationality and address on a hotel registration form.
  • A2: I can write short, simple notes and messages relating to matters in areas of immediate needs. I can write a very simple personal letter, for example thanking someone for something.
  • B1: I can write simple connected text on topics which are familiar or of personal interest. I can write personal letters describing experiences and impressions.
  • B2: I can write clear, detailed text on a wide range of subjects related to my interests. I can write an essay or report, passing on information or giving reasons in support of or against a particular point of view. I can write letters highlighting the personal significance of events and experiences.
  • C1: I can express myself in clear, well-structured text, expressing points of view at some length. I can write about complex subjects in a letter, an essay or a report, underlining what I consider to be the salient issues. I can select style appropriate to the reader in mind.
  • C2: I can write clear, smoothly-flowing text in an appropriate style. I can write complex letters, reports or articles which present a case with an effective logical structure which helps the recipient to notice and remember significant points. I can write summaries and reviews of professional or literary works.
Anyway I can not do a self-assessment. :) So A2 or B1? :) I have to wait 1.5 months. :)
And again anyway - I have started to prepare for the next test, 27th of January, if no luck at October - I must be ready.

supergames

Post by supergames » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:50 pm

mdn wrote:
Anyway I can not do a self-assessment. :) So A2 or B1? :) I have to wait 1.5 months. :)
And again anyway - I have started to prepare for the next test, 27th of January, if no luck at October - I must be ready.
do you know how many questions should be answered correctly to pass reading and listening in YKI. for example if there are around 32 question, do all should be answered correctly or are some mistakes are allowed?
does anyone know?

Jake23

Post by Jake23 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:02 pm

I cant tell exactly, but reading and listening is easy, I guess if you did 50% correct should be enough, I was surprised I passed listening even when I didn't understand 70% of it.
Lets say if you answered correct 50% of the answers and "gambled" the rest, then most probably you did more than half.

It's unclear about writing and speaking part..so if people who passed would share their experience, we could figure out what is the min requirement...

Essi1234

Post by Essi1234 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Yes I passed. No idea how they evaluate it at all as we just get a certificate but I didn't write a lot but I made sure it was understandable and correct, rather than long with loads of mistakes.

supergames

Post by supergames » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:15 pm

I also passed writing with bundles of mistakes. Today got result. Opinion task i wrote little over than half.
So you should also Be hopeful :)

Jake23

Post by Jake23 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:40 am

congratulations guys!

So we have 2 cases, short and no mistakes is fine and long with a lot of mistakes is fine too:)

honey098

Post by honey098 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:51 pm

I passed the Kirjoittaminen part in Aug 2017, I have written all the sections. In my opinion you don't have to write a lot for all sections, where it is suppose to be short, write very briefly and in Finnish language they emphasize on using short phrases which are used in everyday language. For the Mielipide section, I only realized towards the end of exam that you have two full pages to write, but I have written only one page and that seem to be fine. Again I would say, write short and clear sentences where the meaning and context is understood. Grammar is not important but context is for example be clear in present tense, past tense etc.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:37 pm

I think you need to demonstrate that you have understood all parts of the question to get a good score.

mdn

Post by mdn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Just got my results (for 07.10.2017).
Both writing and speaking - "alle 3" :(

Ok I will try next time and I will be more ready.

oknida

Post by oknida » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:58 am

Hi, I got my YKI results last week (keskitaso, test day 7.10.2017), and I got all 4's.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any. I went to the test with no idea what to expect and I was pretty lost, so if I can help anyone to feel a bit more confident on the day of the test, let me know!