Good course, teacher for speaking Finnish?

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
LeoX

Post by LeoX » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:31 am

Hi there,

I assume everybody agrees that written and spoken Finnish are totally two different languages (I know it is a bit exaggerated..).
Is there any qualified teacher focusing on pronunciation and daily conversation, rather than following the traditional textbook path?

To me, as an immigrant, the most important thing is to "speak like natives", rather than correct grammar or write emails. Speaking sentences from the book or selkokieli doesn't connect me well to the native world.

Aren't t the offline Finnish courses emphasize too much on the wrong parts? I dont say grammar/writing should be ignored, but speaking should definitely be more prioritized.

Any comment is welcome!

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

matsnorberg

Re: Good course, teacher for speaking Finnish?

Post by matsnorberg » Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:29 pm

Aren't t the offline Finnish courses emphasize too much on the wrong parts? I dont say grammar/writing should be ignored, but speaking should definitely be more prioritized.

Yes! most emphatically yes!
Almost all exercises I've found on the net are of the kind "fill in the gaps". Theese kind of exercises are worthless!
I would much more prefer "translate this piece of text into finnish" with a suggested solution provided for each exercise text. A live course in finnish should offer at least 50 % talking and conversation, then maybe 40 % writing and reading and finally 10 % grammar. There are good fundamental grammar books and the students may pretty well pick up this stuff by themselves.

The key to learn finnish, or any other foreign language, is experience. You will have to have patience! Lots of patience! Collecting enough experience to speak finnish fluently may take years. It may help to read as much finnish text as possible. Newspapers, children-books or whatever you can get your hands on. Also attend language-cafes, trying to chat in finnish with your buddies as much as possible, and listen to finnish radio and TV.

Mats

Sitna

Post by Sitna » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:41 pm

Work and communicate more with people who speak only Finnish and don't be shy to make mistakes

biryvih

Post by biryvih » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:48 am

Try Gimara Oy. It costs, but good teachers ,random topics and yeah it is online. in 3 months i was confident to speak some stuff and i don't know any grammar :P

Keravalainen

Post by Keravalainen » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:54 am

Hi!
In Helsinki area the libraries have Finnish language cafés for free. There you can practice your spoken Finnish.

They're usually once a week, but the largest one in the Helsinki main library in Pasila it's both on Mondays and on Wednesdays in the afternoon, at 2 PM.
See: http://www.helmet.fi/fi-FI/Tapahtumat_j ... elikahvila