Question about Finnish: An Essential Grammar

Learn and discuss the Finnish language with Finn's and foreigners alike
undertakerfreak

Post by undertakerfreak » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:35 am

I noticed that book is recommended in this sub-forum. However, when I read the reviews, the top reviewer (on the US Amazon site) said that book is not for beginners. For those of you who have used this book as a tool to help you learn the language: at what point in your learning journey did you begin using it? If you were in the very early stages, was it too confusing? Should I do more independent study before I buy it?

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Re: Question about Finnish: An Essential Grammar

Post by 007 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:06 pm

undertakerfreak wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:35 am
I noticed that book is recommended in this sub-forum. However, when I read the reviews, the top reviewer (on the US Amazon site) said that book is not for beginners. For those of you who have used this book as a tool to help you learn the language: at what point in your learning journey did you begin using it? If you were in the very early stages, was it too confusing? Should I do more independent study before I buy it?
I never used that book for any purpose. In fact, I might have touched the touch once in my entire life. It's a grammar book. No exercises. Just the descriptions and explanations.

If you are going to buy the book, you should do so knowing that you're gonna use it only for references. There are other books which might be more helpful for beginners. I am not a book person and never relied on books for practices. So, unfortunately, I am not in a position to recommend any books.

However, come to think of it, if you buy that book as well as harjoittelu tekee mestarin books and you put fair amount of time and effort into learning, it might work. Again, it also depends on the learning habits of a person.

I am more into learning by doing. There's an app called Jodel*. One can absolutely use it for own benefits in learning languages.

*not suitable for absolute beginners though.
“Go where you are celebrated – not tolerated."
"Aina, kun opit uuden sanan, opettele samalla sen monikko!"

Rosamunda

Re: Question about Finnish: An Essential Grammar

Post by Rosamunda » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:28 pm

It is not a book for language learners. If you have an academic interest in Finnish as a language, then it is useful as an introduction to Finnish grammar. I don't know if it has been updated recently, but my edition contains many old-fashioned sentences (as examples of grammatical constructions) that are of little use in day-to-day conversation.

It depends why you want to learn Finnish. But if, like most of us, you need the language to communicate with Finnish people in normal day-to-day situations (dealing with administration, shopping, healthcare etc) then it's of little use. Leila White's book is more up-to-date if you really need a grammar book.

Someone mentioned apps: I have used Worddive and found it quite helpful for rote learning some basic expressions. Apps have their limitations, I was using it while studying on an intensive course and did 15-20 minutes per day just for memorising words and doing some revision.