Dont know what to do next

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
FinLoveBret

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:42 am

Need some advice and knowledge about coming and maybe staying in ravaniemi were my girlfriend attends there polytechnic school. How hard is it to attain a residency permit ? and does that give me the ability to get a job or do i also need to get a work permit? Can i decide to apply for this stuff when i get there in Feb or am i too late already? If we get married am i in with no problems or what? Please help i really have been looking at embassy sites and finnish site and am kinda lost. Im 21yold M only speak english but will learn finnish, Bret

Yeah my spelling and grammer stinx but what can i say atleast i admit to it. Bret

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:31 am

Call the embassy in DC right now and have them send you the immigration papers. Have you lived with this girl for at least 2 years? If so, you'd be eligible for an A5 VISA which will be almost like you're technically married to her.

If not, you can apply just for the residence permit, I think you'll need to prove you have $$ in the bank and other things....I haven't had to do this cause I was legally married to Finnish partner when I came over here. But others on here have done this and should know the in's and out's about it, send a message to member; nehia_qom - she would know.

Moving to Rovaniemi?? I heard it's cold up there. :wink: Finding a job might be difficult up there. When does your graduate? Job searching in Helsinki will be much easier.

FinLoveBret

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:38 am

No i havnt been dating her for two years but we are very seriouse and marriage is coming soon i think. Dop i need a visa to even come in Feb or can i go to just visit with a us passport then when i get there apply for a visa? So if we marrie then i can just move to finland no problems? I need to prove money in the bank $5000 just to get a residency permit? From reading all the things on here it seems kinda lengthy and hard to do.
Yeah my spelling and grammer stinx but what can i say atleast i admit to it. Bret

Phil

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:54 am

FinLoveBret wrote:No i havnt been dating her for two years but we are very seriouse and marriage is coming soon i think. Dop i need a visa to even come in Feb or can i go to just visit with a us passport then when i get there apply for a visa? So if we marrie then i can just move to finland no problems? I need to prove money in the bank $5000 just to get a residency permit? From reading all the things on here it seems kinda lengthy and hard to do.
If you guys get married it's then easy, you'll basically automatically get a work and residence permit, even be able to attend college for free and recieve unemployment and housing benefits IMMEDIATELY when you arrive.

If you just want to come visit, you don't need a VISA unless you're staying for more than 3 months. Just make sure you have a U.S. Passport and you're cool.

Oh, and the embassy will take 3 months to process your paperwork, during that time you WONT have your U.S. Passport cause they need it to put a stamp in it.

Just call them out now and get the paperwork at least.

FinLoveBret

hmmm well

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:00 am

Do you think it is possible for me to marrie her in finland and then have it all easier that way too? I really think it would be a great place to live alittle more worldly then the US or wisconsin atleast. Though your right she is about five miles or so from the arctic circle and i guess it gets abit nipply up there like fricken spit freezin before it hits the ground but i have a very good winter coat and i love snow!! Any advice on a american finnish relationship would be very helpful?

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:08 am

Moving to Rovaniemi in February... hmmm.. OK, I guess thats love then... besides Rovaniemi is in the "tropics"... Just remember to go to the Carhartt catalog and buy all that thermal insulated stuff. But you're from the midwest so you get *Winters* - if you'd been from Florida, I'd giggled myself silly...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

FinLoveBret

and the consensis is

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:22 am

So does anyone know what the lagistics are for me marrying her while im on a two month visit and if that wouold grant my ability to stay there and not have to leave and be able to come back whenever. Anybody who has experienced meeting finnish in laws and family could you please offer some advise and commen practices like whats up with the sauna were to focus your eyes haha jk. Any and all advise or helpful hints to somuen in my situation would be very appreciated.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:24 am

Well, you need a paper from the county/state registrar or whatever stating you are not married.
Cheers, Hank W.

FinLoveBret

hmmmm

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:30 am

well ill have to get one of thoughs papers stating my singlness then. I do have to say though hank that my outi is not vary nagging and she is 100%finn. Though to your knowledge i can marrie her in finland and then i have a A visa.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:42 am

These ones you need to read:
http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/olelupa_eng.pdf
http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/olelupaperheside_eng.pdf
http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/tyolupa_eng.pdf

Basically, the Finnish government doesn't believe in "true love on first sight" and requres 2 years of cohabitation before they consider the marriage to be genuine. So it is not that automatic if they decide to get nasty.

If you come to Finland on a 3-month tourist permit to get married they used to boot you out, these days you can apply for a change of status while in the country. About as difficult and through the hoops is to get Outi to the USA and get married there - and then come to Finland - but that'd take the 2 years knowing how fast the processes go.

Heres the legalities of marriage in Finland
http://www.om.fi/20501.htm
Cheers, Hank W.

Phil

Re: hmmm well

Post by Phil » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:46 am

FinLoveBret wrote:Do you think it is possible for me to marrie her in finland and then have it all easier that way too? I really think it would be a great place to live alittle more worldly then the US or wisconsin atleast. Though your right she is about five miles or so from the arctic circle and i guess it gets abit nipply up there like fricken spit freezin before it hits the ground but i have a very good winter coat and i love snow!! Any advice on a american finnish relationship would be very helpful?
Yeah, you could get legally married on your visit over here then go apply for the VISA. You'll need the ORIGINAL marriage certificate or at least a notorized copy of it for the Finnish embassy

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:46 am

OK Bret... Phil and Hank have given you the low down on how to get residents permit etc.
You will get a lot more help later today when more ex pat yanks wake up.

But now I think we need to discuss what other help you might need.
So lets assume you come here ready to marry Outi so as to get your A class visa..what then...??

You need to find somewhere to live and some way of earning a living unless Outi's parents are ready to support you.
What are your plans for long term residence in Finland?
What are your qualifications for employment?
Have you started to study the language yet.?
You should also point Outi at this board we have several Finnish girl members who will have lots advice for her on how to help immigrant Yanks adapt to Finnish life and culture.

FinLoveBret

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:55 am

Well i think i could eventually find a job doing anything that is i would do anything. As to my plans for long term residence im not to sure yet but i know i would be going to school most likely for buisness maybe turism. My qualifications are little other then customer service experience and hotel experience and sales but i dont know hardly any finnish except hello and belly button{napa} and mayeb a few other things. I guess i just really want things to work out and i dont want moving there to end our relationship becouse its hard only being able to talk on the phone and internet.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:57 am

Well, teh Rovaniemi polytechnic has an excellent tourism department.Maybe you ought to apply there? Lappland is about the only place you could find work in tourism with very little English as a seasonal worker.
Cheers, Hank W.

FinLoveBret

good thought

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:03 am

Actually iam going to apply at Ramk Polytech but i cant apply till like dec and then i have to interview but outi is trying to get me an interview in feb so i can do it when ill for sure be there. So overall though you guys like it in finland i mean once your settled in and used to it. i know i would manage as long as i have my outi but there are still some worries like having a life and friends outside of our small cramped apartment. How is the night life and are there things to do other then sit in the sauna and get drunk fall in the lake and hit my head on a stone while pissing?