Dont know what to do next

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
PeterF

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:13 am

Well other things to do start now..Like learning the language..Life in Rovaniemi will be a lot easier if you can communicate.
It will also earn you some much needed brownie points with Outi's parents.

Start by buying the easiest of basic primers.
http://www.finnlectura.fi/suomivie/fromstar.htm
It will cost you about 25 USD. If you cant find it in USA, it is in every Finnish book shop, so Outi can buy as an early Christmas present.
ISBN 951 792-105-5.
"From Start to FinNish" by Leila White.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

neil

Post by neil » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:14 am

Hello Bret,

Don't be in any rush to 'get here'. Good planning will ensure your transition here will be as smooth as possible. If you both have the option to stay in the US until you have reached this apparent two year threshold, then do so. What do your girlfriend/friends/parents think about the concept of you moving away?

Do not set in stone moving to Rovaniemi. Consider alternative locations that will suit both of your lifestyles and possibilities of finding work. As a foriegner, putting 'bread on the table' (so to speak) is one of the singlmost hardest things a new immigrant has to do and location is a key factor in succeeding in this.

I always recommend living within an hours commuting distance of Helsinki since the vast majority of work is located here - this is particularly apparent for your line of work (service industry), if is an area you will still be prepared to work in once you have arrived. When looking for work, do not rule out any particular sectors since you will probably be taking what you can get rather than having a choice (initially).
Neil

Please add a link to https://www.finlandforum.org

FinLoveBret

havnt ruled anything out yet

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:22 am

The main thing is everytime me and outi talk i get the inclanation that she loves finland way too much to become a perminate resident here in america becouse i do like it here dont get me wrong. Especially when i read all the postings on how hard job hunts are considering in wisconsin i could quit my job and probably find a new one within a weeks time. Iam only 21 and have time still to study and work without getting too burned out and the idea of living closer to helsinke is sounding like almost a must from most of you guys. For the remainder of next year we would have rent paid becouse she is in school and gets her alotment for rent and school. Im not a free loader and i do want to support her and let her parents know im going to provide a good life for her it is just sounding alot easier her in the states?
Yeah my spelling and grammer stinx but what can i say atleast i admit to it. Bret

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: good thought

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:31 am

FinLoveBret wrote: How is the night life and are there things to do other then sit in the sauna and get drunk fall in the lake and hit my head on a stone while pissing?
In Rovaniemi - about as exiting as in say Rhinelander or Land O'lakes :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Re: havnt ruled anything out yet

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:35 am

FinLoveBret wrote: For the remainder of next year we would have rent paid becouse she is in school and gets her alotment for rent and school.
She is not going to run off to the USA to be with you.
She probably must finish her studies before she can move anywhere.
So her school and accomodation is in Rovaniemi for at least all of next year.
If I recall the few occasions I have been in student accomodation. :roll: .dont expect too much free space... :roll:
Lapland (in which Rovaniemi is the main city) is the main foreign tourist area in Finland (other than day trippers to Helsinki).
Roveniemi does run courses in related study areas.
She /you will not be able to move to Helsinki until one of you has found full time job and accomodation there.
By the way, where do her parents live?

FinLoveBret

hmm

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:36 am

well then i guess if that comparison is true then rovaniemi pretty much sux. I mean in that sense anyways. Does anyone think there would be a need for a carpet installer in helsinke area. I know most people have all wood flooring but maybe you Americans miss the carpet . It is one trade i do know how to do not good for the knees but it pays well here. So anybody think that would be somthing to look into?
Yeah my spelling and grammer stinx but what can i say atleast i admit to it. Bret

FinLoveBret

?

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:39 am

her apartment is two person sized not big but not too tiny. her parents live within ten minutes from rovaniemi more in rural areas near the city. Can i ask do any of you speak good finnish now and how long does it usually take the average person she says i can repeat her well?

PeterF

Re: hmm

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:45 am

FinLoveBret wrote:. Does anyone think there would be a need for a carpet installer in helsinke area.?
Forget it Finnns hate fitted carpets....it is a standard joke that Brits and Yanks have wall to wall carpets even in the WC..they love their wooden floors and throw rugs about.
I tried to sell the idea to my Finnish wife...at least in the bed room..first problem where to buy the material ..nowhere sells carpet by the roll.
Then she started squawking about need to take them out at least once a week to beat them so they cant be fixed..so I gave up for a peacefull life.

PeterF

Re: ?

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:51 am

FinLoveBret wrote:. Can i ask do any of you speak good finnish now and how long does it usually take the average personl?
Have a look at our section Kielikoulu..there is lots of stuff on the language there.
You should be able to go shopping alone within 6 months.
It took me over two years before I could join in Pub chats..but I am a slow learner and my wife wants to speak English all the time.
If Outi helps by not speaking English all the time 1-year to 18 months should have you to basic conversation level.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:53 am

FinLoveBret wrote: Does anyone think there would be a need for a carpet installer in helsinke area.
About as many ads as for a bullfighter.
Last edited by Hank W. on Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:55 am

Peter Floyd wrote: I tried to sell the idea to my Finnish wife...at least in the bed room..first problem where to buy the material ..nowhere sells carpet by the roll.
Well, you forget the ubiquitous linoleum/plastic carpeting in most all places. Smooth carpeting, not hairy. I think Bauhaus might have... hrm, atleast it has a good selection of the plastic carpeting.
Cheers, Hank W.

FinLoveBret

another ?

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:56 am

Ok so for you all who came to finland as a foriegner tell me how is the overall ombience twords americans in finland. Are people pretty nice overall or is there a bit of tension twords us. From a political standpoint i would think so.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:03 pm

Depends.

Finns might seem reserved, cold and unfriendly. Its not they don't like *you* - they're like that to *everyone*.

Joke is; In Finland if you meet a guy smiling on the street saying hi to everyone he is either:

a) the village idiot
b) drunk
c) visiting American
d) all of the above

Finns are very quiet. You'll notice. There is no word for 'please' and small talk is: "Who are you?" ... "What are you doing here?"... hey - tha guy is makeing friends... Of course this does't apply when they get fortified with koskenkorva and go sing karaoke. Then you need earplugs.

Only tension is if you don't fit in and people "need to shame their eyes out because of you"... golden rule here - don't stand out :D
Cheers, Hank W.

FinLoveBret

alright

Post by FinLoveBret » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:09 pm

you guys are fricken hilarius im seriouse its like four in the morning and im at work laughing by myself but the sad thing is that most of what your saying is probably true. So what about the sauna do you guys use um and go in there with the wifes family at the summer cottages or whats up with that?

PeterF

Re: another ?

Post by PeterF » Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:11 pm

FinLoveBret wrote:Ok so for you all who came to finland as a foriegner tell me how is the overall ombience twords americans in finland. Are people pretty nice overall or is there a bit of tension twords us. From a political standpoint i would think so.
One cannot genreralise ..there are over 5 million and they dont all share the same opinions..but I think it is safe to say that in the worst case situation Yanks are tolerated providing you are not too pushy.. and some Finns just love anything which is USA.
If you know anything about NHL hockey that should win you lots of Finnish friends.
Politics of USA has been debated here on this board ..Finns just do not want to be dragged into the arena..they prefer to sit on the fence and smille at the antics of the Big Players.
If you dont discuss politics neither will they.
I think that this aspect of your move to Finland is the least of your problems.