Just arrived in Finland

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
martinsloan

Just arrived in Finland

Post by martinsloan » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:44 pm

Hi folks,
I've been posting very little so far as I've been organising my move to Finalnd. So the good news is I arrive in Tampere last Sunday and am still settling in. So next week the Job hunt begins in earnest, thank you for the various posts on the job situation, and though it doesn't appear easy to get a job here I shall give it a good try. I hope to get down to Helsinki and meet some of you in person during one of your social events. I'll have to cut this mail short as my half hour is nearly up. BTW I've seen a few threads on shipping stuff to Finland, well I posted my PC here ( from ireland) at a cost of 180 Euros about half the cost of shipping it, I'll let you know if it arrived in one piece or if I have a 3D jigsaw puzzle :cry: .

Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
MMS

Just arrived in Finland

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

tgabawm

Post by tgabawm » Fri Sep 26, 2003 8:59 pm

so, what about the PC???

BAT

Post by BAT » Sat Sep 27, 2003 9:00 am

Welcome to Finland guys!

Donald

Re: Just arrived in Finland

Post by Donald » Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:21 am

martinsloan wrote:Hi folks,
I've been posting very little so far as I've been organising my move to Finalnd. So the good news is I arrive in Tampere last Sunday and am still settling in. So next week the Job hunt begins in earnest, thank you for the various posts on the job situation, and though it doesn't appear easy to get a job here I shall give it a good try. I hope to get down to Helsinki and meet some of you in person during one of your social events. I'll have to cut this mail short as my half hour is nearly up. BTW I've seen a few threads on shipping stuff to Finland, well I posted my PC here ( from ireland) at a cost of 180 Euros about half the cost of shipping it, I'll let you know if it arrived in one piece or if I have a 3D jigsaw puzzle :cry: .
Welcome to Finland! Hope your PC arrives in good shape. It will help in your job search. We have members living in Tampere and in the surrounding areas. I live a couple hours away in Ilmajoki. We will be having a pub meeting sometime soon there. There's a great kebeb place called Punjab's. Try it, you won't be disapointed! Be sure to take a look at our link forum for job info and network here with other members. Some have found jobs right here on the site by connecting with another member and by a periodic posting by a member. Good luck!

Post by Guest » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:14 am

Welcome, welcome!
All people needing help with moving, please draw a number :lol:

Homie Azteca

Post by Homie Azteca » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:54 pm

Welcome to Finlandia!!
El Mariachi Loco quiere bailar!!

~luna~

Post by ~luna~ » Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:59 pm

@martinsloan: how are things going in tampere? that's where i'm gonna move, hopefully next summer *crosses fingers* so i currently am under a lot of pressure trying to prepare myself decently for the big move...
btw, how long did it take you to get everything set? it'd be great if you could just share your experience on this forum. anyway, good luck for your job hunting, hope you'll get one soon :D

martinsloan

Post by martinsloan » Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:36 pm

Hi All,
Thanks for the welcome.
Well my computer arrived safe ans sound, the packaging was a bit damaged but everthing inside was perfect including amazingling enough a Scanner.
btw, how long did it take you to get everything set? it'd be great if you could just share your experience on this forum. anyway, good luck for your job hunting, hope you'll get one soon
It was actually quite a simple move, I set up my Bank Account on my last visit ( all very simple just showed them my passport, used my girlfriend's addressed and lodged €50-i found the bank staff very friendly and helpful). Then I just quit my Job in August, spent two weeks tying up loose ends in Ireland and moved. As I said I posted my PC, I took about 1/2 my clothes over, and left the rest (including furniture) in storage ( a friend has a very large house) in Ireland. One of the lessons I learned ( For Eu citizens) is that you should get your first Social Welfare payment paid in your country of origin prior to moving to Finland, after that the payments can easily be transfered over. I also got an E111 form prior to moving, this will only last for 3 months, but will cover me for basic health care for that period.

At present I'm in contact with the Irish Tax office trying to get my hands on some of that filthy lucre they owe me.

Unfortunately no sign of work yet, I've applied to few places but no luck. I've also followed the advise on this BB about following up with phone calls but keep getting fobbed off with " I'll call you next week". But I'll keep trying, and hopefully something will turn up.

I've now been in Tampere for 1 1/2 months and really like the place. Yesterday was "Tampere Day", all the Museums were free to the public and the police station & fire station were open to the public ( I didn't go to the police station, I can't think of any other country were a visit to the police station would be considered a pleasant day out 8) ). The day finished with a medium sized firework display in the Keskustorni.

I've been talking about getting down to Helsinki to meet up at one of the nights out, unfornately the wallet is a bit underweight at present, But if anyone is going out in the Tampere area I certainly join in.

Katrina,
Hope your move was as easy as mine, and that every thing is going well.

Luna
Hopefully I'll still be here next summer and we can meet for a pint.
Luck, like a Russian car, generally only works if you push it.
MMS