THERE IS NO GRAHAM CRACKER IN FINLAND!! VERY DISAPPOINTING!

Find information on places to go, things to see, eating out, Finnish food, recipes and more
Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:07 pm

Ok, just watched "Amazing Race". Peeps were in Korea and had to eat octopus. Nothing wrong with that but the freshness of the fare was slightly on the "fresh" side of things, as the octopus was just chopped up and was writhing on the plate. Somehow I do not think I am highly disappointed we do not have fresh octopus in Finland :lol:

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

enk

Post by enk » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:24 pm

Hank W. wrote:Ok, just watched "Amazing Race". Peeps were in Korea and had to eat octopus. Nothing wrong with that but the freshness of the fare was slightly on the "fresh" side of things, as the octopus was just chopped up and was writhing on the plate. Somehow I do not think I am highly disappointed we do not have fresh octopus in Finland :lol:
We were laughing about that tonight, it's probably the one food
that I wouldn't touch :D

-enk

Finn_since_1978

Re: THERE IS NO GRAHAM CRACKER IN FINLAND!! VERY DISAPPOINTI

Post by Finn_since_1978 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:37 pm

userface wrote:hELLO!

I have been looking for a shop that sell graham crackers and there is none. i even tried going to that american shop in WTC buy they don't have graham crackers. Can someone, please, please tell me where to buy this or just tell me the closest kind. Thanks a lot!!
Of course there are graham crackers available in most Finnish grocery stores! They are some brands that are imported from Britain and there are even Finnish brands of those available everywhere.
Ensin mennään saunaan, sitten syödään vasta.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:59 am

enk wrote:We were laughing about that tonight, it's probably the one food
that I wouldn't touch
Theres a few Finnish / Nordic "delicacies" (usually revolving around rotten fish) that I'd gladly pass. My mom used to make lutefisk... it is not half as bad actually ;)

But yeah, around the world one does find foods that make you go hmmm... I guess that is a part of the joys of travelling.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sammy

Post by sammy » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:13 pm

Hank W. wrote:Theres a few Finnish / Nordic "delicacies" (usually revolving around rotten fish) that I'd gladly pass. My mom used to make lutefisk... it is not half as bad actually ;)
I have heard ghastly tales of an Icelandic "delicacy" called hakarl - that is, rotten shark meat :shock:

Has anyone on this forum ever tasted it? And survived?

Nukkepöksy

Re: THERE IS NO GRAHAM CRACKER IN FINLAND!! VERY DISAPPOINTI

Post by Nukkepöksy » Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:20 pm

Finn_since_1978 wrote:
userface wrote:hELLO!

I have been looking for a shop that sell graham crackers and there is none. i even tried going to that american shop in WTC buy they don't have graham crackers. Can someone, please, please tell me where to buy this or just tell me the closest kind. Thanks a lot!!
Of course there are graham crackers available in most Finnish grocery stores! They are some brands that are imported from Britain and there are even Finnish brands of those available everywhere.
WHAT?? WHERE? OMG!

wait wait... are you confusing the word "graham crackers" with say... salmiakki or beer? I've been tricked into consuming both before and i'm a bit wary... :shock:
ImageEevaImage

Mark I.

Post by Mark I. » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:07 pm

I'd be surpriced if there would't be graham crackers in Finland, because I seem to remember those since I was a kid, and that was (early) 70's. Round bisquits in a red roll, and says graham also on the bisquits, right?

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:39 pm

There are lots of things here in Finland that say graham on them, because they contain wheat graham.

What people are specifically seeking are a kind of crackers that are sweet and have a unique taste to them, good for making pie crust and other recipes:

Graham cracker history
Well-known by 1882, graham crackers are a flat, crisp cookie made with graham flour and typically sweetened with honey. They were created in the 1830's by Sylvester Graham who promoted the crackers as a health food. Along with graham crackers and pie crusts, granola and Grape Nuts® cereal are also made with graham flour.
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

soyyo

Post by soyyo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:40 pm

I also found a recipe for making your own graham crackers:

Graham Crackers

1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk
2 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy.
Add vanilla and milk, mix well.
Gradually mix in whole wheat flour, baking powder and salt. Mix in all purpose flour until a soft dough forms.
Divide dough into two and form each half into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
On a lightly floured counter, roll dough out to 1/8" thick. Cut into desired shapes.
Place 1/4" apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
Crackers will firm up as they cool. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container.

Makes about 4 dozen crackers
Don't worry, it only feels kinky the first time....

Finn_since_1978

No wonder there is so much obesity in the US

Post by Finn_since_1978 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:22 pm

We have graham crackers but they are different, non-sweet ones here in Finland. Americans like to sugar-coat all their food.
Ensin mennään saunaan, sitten syödään vasta.

karen

Re: No wonder there is so much obesity in the US

Post by karen » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:23 pm

Finn_since_1978 wrote:We have graham crackers but they are different, non-sweet ones here in Finland. Americans like to sugar-coat all their food.
That's honey.

smilesalot

Post by smilesalot » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:16 am

Finn_since_1978 wrote:We have graham crackers but they are different, non-sweet ones here in Finland. Americans like to sugar-coat all their food.
ROTFLMHO

Like finland doesn't, with an Irto karkki at every trainstation/shopping center and most kiosks are 80% candy, I agree there are some things that are too sweet in the US but its a personal preference.
But Suomalaiset have a big sweet tooth. Try going to visit someone right now during Christmas and not be offered some candy or cake with your tee or coffee it will never happen. How much soda do the Finns Drink?
When is the last time you read the ingredient list on the food items you buy. Im suprised by how much more suger there is here than 5 years ago.
Thats why Im laughing besides smiling , thats one of things I love about Suomi :) Simply put... everyone has a price, mine is chocolate!

smilesalot :)

Chocolate: Here today .... Gone today!
Last edited by smilesalot on Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superiorinferior

Post by superiorinferior » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:10 pm

Finn_since_1978 wrote:We have graham crackers but they are different, non-sweet ones here in Finland. Americans like to sugar-coat all their food. Re: No wonder there is so much obesity in the US

http://virtual.finland.fi/stt/showartic ... up=General

Yeah Finns are SO very fit and healthy.

WTF, how can a question about someone looking for a graham cracker turn into "HA HA You fecking americans are so fecking fat."

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:41 pm

maria_rn

Post by maria_rn » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:54 pm

Nukkepöksy wrote:I was so upset about the absence of graham crackers in this country
Are you sure? I saw some graham crackers at K market