Driving in Finland? Husband wants to know:)

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
simakun

Post by simakun » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:33 pm

i believe you can use your US license for at least 6 months or was it a year? can't remember the exact length of time. doesn't matter really cos the policeman told me that foreigners can exchange their license for a finnish one only after 6 months and from now until then they can drive as much as they want. i don't believe it matters if you have no experience driving a manual as long as you stick to your license category, usually vehicles under 3500kg.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kultary

Post by kultary » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:43 pm

If I remember correctly, you have to exchange your foreign license for a finnish one within one year to avoid going through the courses & tests. Then, you had to show that you had at least 6 months of driving experience in Finland. BTW, it only costs about 40 € to get a license this way, so it is quite a bit cheaper than for a finn.

- Ryan

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue Sep 30, 2003 5:59 pm

If he bought the car himself, the answer he wants to hear is that it is illegal :mrgreen: ..taking a few classes in a driving school might not be a bad idea though, especially the "slippery track".

Just tell him not to fill up with "kangaroo gas" before starting :mrgreen:

...and don't wonder if you are in an empty parking lot and the police come to breathalyze you because someone's reported in a "drunk driver". I think it isn't that illegal to use a "learner's triangle" even if you are not on a learning permit, because otherwise you'll get a nice selection of blinking lights and international handsigns...

BTW autumn and slippery cobblestones with leaves is the *perfect* time to learn a handbrake hillstart :mrgreen: ...I pity the car :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Deman

Post by Deman » Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:55 pm

I've been driving five years with my Irish license and haven't been asked to show it at all. Whereas in Ireland, I had to show on an almost daily basis. It's due for renewal in January so I'll just go to the proper authorities and change it over. It shouldn't be a problem, I don't think, as it's an EU license. Does anyone know otherwise?

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:37 pm

I'm a bit confused by the question.....so you mean that Antti has neither a Finnish license nor an international one but he wants to teach you to drive a standard shift? Does he have a license issued by an EU member country?

One can drive in Finland if one has:

1. a license issued in Finland OR anywhere else in the EU

or

2. an international license accompanied by a non-EU license.....(in which case you have to get the non-EU license changed into a Finnish one at least 6 and no more than 12 months after arrival in Finland. This is because the international license is only valid for a year).

If one has neither of the above.....they cannot legally drive in Finland. The international license is not valid on its own- you must always carry it along with your real license.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:41 pm

I guess Caroline - the issue is if Katrina can be allowed on the road with her US licence - to learn stick.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:55 pm

Deman wrote:I've been driving five years with my Irish license It's due for renewal in January . It shouldn't be a problem, I don't think, as it's an EU license. Does anyone know otherwise?
In theory..no problem..in practice..This is Finland...and they will probably find some reason why it is a problem..I started the process to change my UK licence to a Finnish one because it was close falling appart and I wanted a new photo card plastic one..initial investigation at Vantaa police was met with blank looks and "enmä tiedä!" I thought this is going to be a long painfull process...
So I asked my son in UK to send me UK renew form/application for plastic card licence, filled it in giving his address as my UK address added the require mug shot, two weeks later I received my new plastic UK Licence...painless.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:20 pm

Hank W. wrote:If he bought the car himself, the answer he wants to hear is that it is illegal :mrgreen: ..taking a few classes in a driving school might not be a bad idea though, especially the "slippery track".
It was not so difficult to guess the answer he would like to hear. :twisted:

But, especially the slippery track is really useful to take. You have to learn to drive on the ice and snow 8)

Good heavens, beware in Vantaa :evil:

Kemars

Post by Kemars » Thu Oct 02, 2003 9:08 am

You can do the same thing I did.

Drive for 6 months with your USA DL + Intl DL and get your husband to teach you..(just be careful during the winter months as it gets tricky from time to time with weather issues - e-g- SNOW and ICE)..then after the 6mths are up, go to your local police station, and pick up the paper work for getting a FINNISH DL. You pay a fee (it was 150 markkas back in the day before the EURO) and they take your USA DL in place of giving you the Finnish DL..since its a EU DL, you can drive anywhere in the EU..when you leave for the states to visit you can either go to the police station to pick up the USA DL and drop off the FINNISH DL or do what I did, then next time you are visiting your hometown, make an appointment with your local Department of Motor Vehicles and state that you lost your DL and need a new one. :wink:
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood?