residence permits for retiring in finland?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
medved

Post by medved » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:12 am

Three or four years out I have the option of early retirement. From what I am able to glean from the net, it appears that with an acceptable means of support (pension) it might be possible to obtain a residence permit for Finland. Can any of you shed some light on this possibility. I am from the US and want live somewhere I can ski off the back porch and listen to the wind in pines.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:15 am

Well, yes, but isn't Canada closer ?
nevermind :mrgreen:

http://www.uvi.fi/pdf/olelupa_eng.pdf
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

t.madison

Post by t.madison » Sat Oct 04, 2003 5:17 pm

The previous comment was a good one. That is for the simple reason that your pension won't be worth as much here and there are the cultural differences. It is better to come for a visit - even a long one. Being an American very familiar with pension programs in the US, I do believe that I can speak with some expertise in this area.

medved

Post by medved » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Hank W., Canada is on the list also, but its still awfully close to Texas. t.madison, good thoughts. Certainly I would never move somewhere without an extended "test drive" first. However, my interest in Finland (aside from the snow and the outdoor activities) is based upon what I remember about the culture and people when I lived there for one year (Helsinki) with my family in about 1959. I was only 8 and I am sure things have changed greatly, but I have had a semi-attachment to Finland ever since. Also my wife is Russian (maybe not a good fit in Finland, I don't know) - but living in Finland would make access to her family easier. For what it is worth living in Russia is the another alternative I've entertained. I've been there about 8 times (mostly far east Russia) for extended stays and enjoyed my time, especially when away from the cities. However, my sense is that the cultural jump to Russia would be greater than to Finland, but perhaps not. Anyhow, thanks again for the comments.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:28 pm

Well, the prices have changed from 1959 for sure :D
Cheers, Hank W.

Donald

Post by Donald » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:02 pm

Hank W. wrote:Well, the prices have changed from 1959 for sure :D
You mean salaries haven't changed since 1959... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Oct 05, 2003 3:05 pm

Atleast mine hasn't :mrgreen:

Here's a moneymachine calculating what the purchasing power of the money was in a specific year. So if you see an old newspaper and see the prices, what it would have costed now.
http://www.nordea.fi/fin/hen/sasi/rahan ... ?navi=sasi

There is a link to a scale which as the multipliers. there are a few jumps, like as in 1944-1945 when all big bills were "cut" and 1963, when there was a change in the decimal point.
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.

Tom and Jerry

Post by Tom and Jerry » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:38 pm

Hi Medved,

At first, it doesn't make any sense to come from Oregon to Finland. You better spent your money on Mount Hood, or drive to Jasper, if you like the Canadians, or even Anchorage is better.

However, if you have family or other historical ties with Finland, you may try first to live here temporarily.
This is odd, you're not the first one who asks this. I told the other ones that Tammisaari (Ekenäs) is a nice place for old folks, since they all speak Swedish there, so you don't need to learn Finnish :D

medved

Post by medved » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:38 am

Thanks Tom for the thoughts and ideas :idea: Certainly Swedish would be easier to learn than Finnish. I also understand that in the region of Vaasa (Vasa) on the west coast of Finland that Swedish is the common language. Is that true?

By the way I have climbed Mt. Hood several times and ski there fairly often. Yet, in the lower elevations where most people live in Oregon we only see rain in the winter. 8)