Finnish passports

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
whatever2005

Finnish passports

Post by whatever2005 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:15 am

Are there any websites relating to the issuing of Finnish passports to Finnish citizens and the amount of time it would take to get one and what ID you would need to obtain them? Is there a fast-track service where you could get one in a day if you just turned up at the passport office's door with your papers and/or a load of money? Any ideas? Anyone? Hope you can help me. Don't care if the sites are in Finnish either, lol, I can get them translated. Thanks a lot!

Finnish passports

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:20 am

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

zam

Re: Finnish passports

Post by zam » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:33 pm

whatever2005 wrote:Are there any websites relating to the issuing of Finnish passports to Finnish citizens and the amount of time it would take to get one
See the website above in Hank's reply. Usually it takes ca 2 weeks for the passport to be issued and to be ready to be collected.
whatever2005 wrote: and what ID you would need to obtain them?
An official proof of identity, a passport, identity card or driving licence. If the passport applicant does not have a document to prove his/her identity, this is ascertained through investigative means.
whatever2005 wrote: Is there a fast-track service where you could get one in a day if you just turned up at the passport office's door with your papers and/or a load of money?
A temporary (validity max 1 year) passport can be issued while waiting. However, this type of passport is not accepted for travel e.g. to the US (without a visa) as it is not machine readable. And you would have to bring 5€ more for the temporary passport (45€) compared to the "default" validity which is 10 years (40€).

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:16 pm

While explaining the obvious to the oblivious, we should not forget a very crucial element of acquiring a passport:

- that one should have recent photos ready at hand;
and that the mugshot
(should not look like that);

- rather be according to the set guidelines.

Not all police stations have a photo machine;
and having to present yourself the next 10 years
trying to imitate a deer in headlights might prove to be
slightly stressful,
as experience has shown...
Last edited by Hank W. on Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

watsonwatson

Post by watsonwatson » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:41 pm

Its that chainsaw, chop em all up, dude!

sy

Post by sy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:19 pm

If you can wait until August 2006, Finland starts to issue passports with biometrics information. New passports will be valid for 5 years. Price for applying for such a passport is not determined yet.

However, old type of passport will continue to be valid until its expiration date.

The link:
http://www.intermin.fi/intermin/bulleti ... 42002A902E

whatever2005

Passports

Post by whatever2005 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. Much appreciated.

smilesalot

Post by smilesalot » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:05 am

Also passport pictures do not have to be in color because, all are issued with a black and whit photo. Trust me I know, I gave them a color picture and got a b&w passport photo.

ps my attitude is get one before Aug 2006, why give big brother anymore information than he needs. Biometrics is 1 step before haveing chips inbedded into our skin. Like they do for animals.

smilesalot :)

The more honest a man is , the less he affects the air of a saint