How soon did you get your latest visa,residence/work permit?

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.

How soon did you get your latest visa or residence/work permit?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 25, 2003 5:06 pm

Less than 1 month
53%
1 - 3 months
23%
3 - 6 months
17%
More than 6 months
7%

Total votes: 30

kultary

Post by kultary » Thu Oct 09, 2003 1:07 pm

From what I understood you [color=red]always[/color] have to apply for a permit in the place where you live.
When I came here, I went to the Helsinki aliens police and after waiting in queue for 1,5 hours it was my turn and they told me nicely that I had to go to Espoo to get the permit, because I live in Espoo.
I don't remember how much I paid, but I think it was some 30€.[/quote]

Yeah, I had moved between applications from Tampere to Kangasala. Those nice folks in Tampere were willing to accept the application (and the money) and forward it to the police in Kangasala.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:35 pm

Arno wrote:From what I understood you always have to apply for a permit in the place where you live.
When I came here, I went to the Helsinki aliens police and after waiting in queue for 1,5 hours it was my turn and they told me nicely that I had to go to Espoo to get the permit, because I live in Espoo.
Thats why I always make sure before giving directions -

- Where do you live?
- Helsinki.
- Where in Helsinki?
- Kauniainen
- !"#¤%!!!

Ok, tax offices & some others you can leave stuff wherever you please, with the police nowadays mostly too - but you have to pick them up usually at "your own" police station.

If you have a friend asking for what to do, don't ask him where he lives. "Helsinki" is ubiquituous. Ask him for his post number. It usually says HELSINKI ESPOO VANTAA on it and that tells him where to go get his papers from. And yes, sometimes it can be more convenient or closer to go to the other city, but blame the Germans of instructing the Russians of bureaucracy - we've been taught it thoroughly!
Last edited by Hank W. on Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 09, 2003 3:06 pm

Hank W. wrote: - Where do you live?
- Helsinki.
- Where in Helsinki?
- Kauniainen
- !"#¤%!!!
:lol: :lol:
Touchy...

eashton

Post by eashton » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:58 pm

Hell, I just went by the Helsinki Ulkomaa police station earlier this week to renew my visa, which will expire at the end of November, since I was told earlier in the summer that it shouldn't take more than 3 or 4 weeks. The nice woman behind the plexiglass informed me that it would be AT LEAST 5 MONTHS for the renewal. I understand that these things take time but...5 MONTHS? I'll have to apply for the renewal as soon as I get the new visa since it'll be just about that time already. Is there a furriner deluge into Helsinki that I missed in the paper?

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:27 pm

What I heard is that, officially, the visa takes 6 months but it usually comes in a lot faster (3-4 weeks). You can guarantee a rush if you get an employer to write a letter saying you need your passport for business travel- don't know if there's any other grounds for a rush visa.

In other news- the Ulkomaa police station has a second floor for elite visa processing, I've heard! It's used mostly for people who are returning to Finland and alaiming Finnish citizenship (mostly Swedes coming back to Finland). Apparently it's quite posh with nice sofas to recline on and a TV to watch while you're waiting for your number to be called (!)