Research :A Typical School Day

Useful advice relating to undergraduate and postgraduate studying. Find information on admission, study permits, universities, polytechnics, courses and student life in Finland
HKstudent

Post by HKstudent » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:31 am

Hello everyone. I'm a Hong Kong student. My teacher asked me to do a research for Finnish education. So,I want to get some information form here about the typical secondary school day.

Thanks a lots

HONG KONG student

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:57 am

Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dampa

Post by dampa » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:13 pm

Sup with the maths? :shock: I have got to know that majority of Finns can be pretty much bad in Maths...

BEST MEAN SCORES: MATHS
Hong Kong-China: 550
Finland: 544
South Korea: 542
Netherlands: 538
Liechtenstein: 536
Source: OECD PISA 2003 data

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:21 pm

Don't know how they researched, but I know in high school unless you take 'long maths' there is very little chance of getting to anything resembling engineering. Then again with bad maths you can get to study business... AND IT SHOWS :lol: (when I was in the hotel school there were people straight out of school who couldn't do percentages nor statistics, and I thought *I* was bad in maths... )
Cheers, Hank W.

HKstudent

Post by HKstudent » Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:48 pm

Thanks for all.
But I think that I want a time table for the secondary students.
How loag for a lesson?
How many lesson each day?
How many time they spend on the homeworks?
For example:My typical school day.I get up at 6:30am and have my breakfast.I go to school at 7:00am.My first lesson start at 8:15 and each lesson are 35 min long.After two lessosns, we have 10min break.Our lunch time is 12:10 to 1:10.After lunch we have three more lessons.So the last lesson will finish at 3:20.But we often have an extra lesson.After school,I spend 2 to 3 hours on my homeworks.When I finish my homework,I will watch TV or play TV-games and go to bed at 11:00.
HONG KONG student

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:33 pm

What age/class do you mean by 'secondary' exactly?
Cheers, Hank W.

HKstudent

Post by HKstudent » Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:07 pm

In Hong Kong,secondary students are around 12-18 years old.
HONG KONG student

HKstudent

Post by HKstudent » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:22 pm

Anyone can help me??
HONG KONG student

Stellina

about chinese schools

Post by Stellina » Fri Oct 12, 2007 4:33 am

Hi,
I am actually interested with specific in your school system. How long is the academic day for secondary studentsin apublic school. I know that private schools have different expectations and so forth... I hope you could help me. Can you post your schedule???

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 am

What private schools?
Cheers, Hank W.

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:18 am

Two of my kids are in secondary school:

http://www.ksyk.fi/ksyk_www/index.php?item=&language=en
It is a normal Finnish state school that uses the Finnish core curriculum and it is free. School lunch is also free. We do not have to buy any books or any supplies, everything is provided. The school has a bilingual stream which teaches in Finnish and English, a Finnish stream (lessons only in Finnish) and an international stream where most of the lessons are taught in English.

Look under calendar for info about timetables.

In Finland secondary school has a floating timetable which depends on the electives you take. The calendar for the year is split into 6 periods (jakso) ofeach lasting 6-7 weeks so the timetable changes at the beginning of each new jakso. A typical school day can start at 8am or 9am or 10am and finish at anything from 1pm to 4pm. Each lesson is 45 minutes

For example my 9th grader's timetable looks like this at the moment:

Monday: 9 am start OPO (guidance), Biology (x2), Finnish, French, Maths
Tuesday: 8 am start Psychology (x2), Geography (x2), homeroom, PE (x2), maths
Wednesday: 8 am start English (x2) Finnish, English (x2), Maths
THursday: 10 am start French (x2), Finnish, maths
Friday: 10 am start Physics (x2), biology, Finnish, English (x2)

and my 8th grader's timetable looks like this:

Mon: 8am start Music (x2), PE (x2), geography, maths, French (x2)
Tues: 10 am start Swedish (x2), homeroom, Finnish (x2), maths
Wed: 10 am start Geography (x2) Physics (x2), ethics (x2)
Thurs: 8 am start Music (x2), biology, health ed (x2), maths, history, OPO
Friday: 10 am start English (x2), History, Swedish

Hope this helps.

PS: There are only a few private schools in Finland (the International School of Helsinki, l'Ecole Jules Verne, the German School and the Russian School). All the other school are state-controlled and teach the same National Core Curriculum

EP

Post by EP » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:16 pm

The time spent on homework really depends on a person: Some are quicker and learn faster than others. Also some are more conscientious than others.

And level: A 12-year-old may get his homework done in less than an hour, but when he is 18 and getting ready for his matriculation exam, homework easily swallows 5-6 hours.

I think you get the picture from penelope´s answer and the Kulosaari School pages.

And like people have already said, there is no private school system, just about everybody goes to a public school. So no different expectations.

Stellina

Thank you

Post by Stellina » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:49 pm

Your reply was very helpful.. do you have any discipline problems in school? could you explain and give ther easons for either answer(yes and no).

Rosamunda

Post by Rosamunda » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:23 pm

I am not aware of any major discipline issues in schools, other than the usual for those age groups. One of my kids had a detention (stayed behind 30 mins after school) a couple of weeks ago for spilling orange juice in his Swedish lesson. He was not supposed to take food/drink into the classroom. There has been some discussion in the newspapers recently about bullying. I don't this is anything like the scale of the UK (don't know about USA) but if I remember correctly the main issue was that the teachers were not trained in how to deal with it.

In Finland it is extremely difficult for a school to expel a child, but a school can issue a written warning and even suspension is a possibility (for up to 3 months).

I am a member of a school board in Espoo. It is very unusual for any disciplinary procedures to be discussed in our meetings.

I am sure there are discipline problems - like in any secondary school - but I am not aware of anything that would be worth a special mention.

zam

Post by zam » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:18 pm

geniedevil wrote:try this page, get into contact with the ministry of education of Finland directly for what you need:
http://www.minedu.fi/minedu/contact_info/index.html
For secondary education a better place to contact is the Finnish National Board of Education.

The age 12 - 18 falls into basic education's upper grades (6 - 9) and the upper secondary education.