APPLYING FOR A SHORT TERM VISA IN FINLAND

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
emancipator

Post by emancipator » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:32 pm

Hello everyone,
I applied for a short term visa to enable me attend entrance exam in Finland but unfotunately,i was refused the visa.

Though they have not been able to tell me the reason but whatsoever reason,all i want to know is if i still have another chance to apply again.

And if i can then when could that be.Can i apply again if i have another invitation to partake in any entrance exam?

Thank you all for your replies

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

zam

Re: APPLYING FOR A SHORT TERM VISA IN FINLAND

Post by zam » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:51 pm

emancipator wrote:Hello everyone,
I applied for a short term visa to enable me attend entrance exam in Finland but unfotunately,i was refused the visa.

Though they have not been able to tell me the reason but whatsoever reason,all i want to know is if i still have another chance to apply again.

And if i can then when could that be.Can i apply again if i have another invitation to partake in any entrance exam?

You cannot appeal against the decisions the embassies make on visas. However, you may apply again next year.

Nikita

Post by Nikita » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:11 pm

zam wrote:
You cannot appeal against the decisions the embassies make on visas. However, you may apply again next year.
Yes, zam is right. Check this:

http://www.formin.fi/doc/eng/services/e ... 20a%20visa
Le ciel ouvert, la vie errante; pour pays, l'univers; et pour loi, ma propre volonté!-Carmen

daryl

Post by daryl » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:21 pm

emancipator wrote:Hello everyone,

Without knowing why your application was turned down, it is impossible to advise you as to your prospects of securing a visa by filing another application.

It all comes down to how persistent you want to be about this. There are various ways of forcing the Ministry for Foreign Affairs to provide an explanation, but these methods require detailed knowledge of the Finnish administrative system and a willingness to put individual officials through the wringer when those officials attempt to prevaricate and evade the laws governing that system. Trust me, they will.

The main point to remember is that the system is two-dimensional. It only perceives a problem in advising the applicant of reasons. Officials who adamantly maintain to the applicant that the reasons are "secret" will nevertheless readily divulge those reasons and hand over all of their documents to the administrative courts, State law officers and even journalists. This is why we were able to read in Helsingin Sanomat that one of the 9/11 hijackers had been refused a visa for Finland because of passport irregularities. AFAIK this information was released to the press without even being requested (who would have known to ask?).

Your correct first step is to invoke Finland's freedom of information laws to secure access to all of the information held by the embassy in Victoria Island. Freedom of information is ultimately guaranteed by the administrative courts, which you petition after the embassy has ignored your request beyond the specified time limit. After you find that this information includes nothing that counts against the application, you can petition the Supreme Administrative Court to annul the decision on the grounds that it was an arbitrary administrative act (that's not quite how you would phrase it, but the matter amounts to this).

The only defence that is then open to the Ministry for Foreign Affairs is to provide an explanation of its decision, and this should furthermore be an explanation that remains within the parameters of the information that it has already provided - otherwise you petition the State law officers over an obvious breach of freedom of information laws. The point of the extraordinary petition is not to get the visa application reopened (even though this is the formal claim), but to get this very explanation.

This entire process, if fought at every turn by the administration, and allowing for unlawful moves and systematic incompetence (tarkoitushakuiset erehdykset) will take about 3 - 5 years. I did something similar over residence permit decisions a few years ago. Aside from winning the case at every turn, the net outcome was a legal reform that stripped Finnish embassies of the right to make residence permit decisions.

Instead of this disproportionate struggle, of course, a reasonable man would follow the example of Bob Geldof: take his talents elsewhere and encourage his friends to refrain from doing business with Finland.

daryl
Wo ai Zhong-guo ren

emancipator

Post by emancipator » Sun Apr 30, 2006 7:24 pm

Thank you all for the reply,i sincerely appreciate your efforts.I think what i have to do is to apply again for the spring semester.

But the only problem now is that most polytechnics do not accept international students for the spring semester.

Please do anyone of you know the polytechincs that offer undergraduate admission to international students for the spring semester.

There is often a saying that the product of today is as a result of what you did yesterday.I want to contribute to the destiny of mankind hence i have to maximize my potentials by broadening my horizon.This is a very good opportunity studying in Finland will provide me.

The flexibility in education,being taught by high quality teaching staffs who are enthusiastic and research active.I am looking up to people like Mike Adenuga,Nigeria enterprenuer who has contributed immensely to the destiny of Mankind.He is the owner of GLO MOBILE,the first indeginous GSM mobile operator in Nigeria.And lots oof other businesses which inturn is helping in the growth of our economy.He read Business administration in the US.

All i want is an opportunity to have the best and sound education to be able to realize my career prospects

PLEASE Your handy information will be highly appreciated.

Thank you once again.