permit type B; KELA card ? private health insurance

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
nkkhatri

Post by nkkhatri » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:32 am

After reading most of the articles from Finland forum, I realized that residence permit type B holders do not get KELA card.

I am a visiting scientist and non-EU citizen. I got Finnish residence permit type B and specifically written on visa sticker as" Rajoitetu työnteko-oikeus: UlkL 80 §1 mom 2 kohta. Vieraileva tutkija, Oulun yliopisto". I don't know exact what it is but seems like limited work permit as a visitng scientist to Oulu University. Is this correct?

On my wife's visa sticker as written as" Työnteko-oikeus: UlkL 79 §1 mom kohdat 1-5". Is it work permit or normal residence permit?

My stay will be supported by CIMO fellowship (scholarship / tax free money). Since I'll not be paying tax, so I think I'll not get KELA card. Does anyone have any idea about it?

We have a baby. Will the baby be qualified for KELA card or we must arrange private health insurance for all of us. If yes, then please provide some information about private health insurance companies and their tarriffs approximately.

Thanks. 8)

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

kit

Post by kit » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:27 pm

i'm sailing in the same boat as you and though i don't know about the insurance tariffs,i guess you can contact info about child care services in your area from the following links.
http://www.hel2.fi/terveyskeskus/englis ... index.html
http://www.hel2.fi/terveyskeskus/englis ... ealth.html
i suggest u find the phone numbers of ur local health station from these links,call up and get the info.
good luck,take care.
ps.somewhere i read health care for children upto five years is free.but i'm not sure about it.

nkkhatri

Post by nkkhatri » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:22 am

Thanks Kit for your reply. The links are for Helsinki and not for Oulu but I can find information for Oulu health services on the net.

You are in the same boat so how do get medical serivces n Finland? I mean do you pay to hospitals or do you have any private insurance?

Child health care mostly in Europe is free. For example here in Germany, even medicines for children are free but still they require health insurance card (Krankenkasse in German) something like KELA card.

Anyone else has any suggestion or experience with private health insurance.

odon

Post by odon » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:56 pm

hi guys,,,,,,

there is no discrimination in the public system, i.e terveyskeskus , u have to pay a nominal charge and to pass to the system u have to announce to your nearest health care centre and wait for u'r turn.

but if u want the service now and quick then is the private system, where the kela will compensate a part of the cost, if u have a kela card it is sweet on your purse! :lol:

amayer

Post by amayer » Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:18 pm

You should check with the University... if your grant money is going through the university and they're taking some sort overhead (e.g., for your officespace, computer, etc.) then I think you should be covered through the university, even if you can't get into the KELA system. However, if your grant comes directly to you, then the organization doing the granting should cover your insurance needs. At least I think that's how it works.

nkkhatri

Post by nkkhatri » Tue May 02, 2006 10:27 am

The grant is from CIMO (Finnish Govt. International Mobility organisation) and is tax free scholarship. I'll be covered only for accidents happen in the laboratory (university permises) but not afterwards. What about my baby? That's the main question. Has someone any other suggestions? Thanks.

zam

Post by zam » Sun May 07, 2006 1:40 am

nkkhatri wrote:The grant is from CIMO (Finnish Govt. International Mobility organisation) and is tax free scholarship. I'll be covered only for accidents happen in the laboratory (university permises) but not afterwards. What about my baby? That's the main question. Has someone any other suggestions? Thanks.
To be safe and not sorry, take a private insurance. There's only one you can get in Finland (Pohjola's Foreign Citizens Travel Insurance) as you are a holder of a CIMO scholarship.
http://www.pohjola.fi/YRY/_VakuutusHOT/ ... mailta.htm (in Finnish)
Telephone service in English
010 55 88 130 domestic
+ 358 10 55 88 130 international
and ask for their prices - might be cheaper if you take an insurance from your home country before coming to Finland.