permits status & some doubts

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
lalc

Post by lalc » Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:15 am

Hi...

I am planning to move to Finland with a job in hand and have got a opinion of labour which puts me in A.2 catogory. I am non-EU(India) but have been a resident of EU since 1998.

- What duration resident permit am I eligible to get ?
- What duration work permit am I eligible to get ?
- If I wish to do some part time studies, how does the university sytem, say in Turkku, work ?
- Is there any place where I can know more about finnish salary levels, tax details and stuf like that ? May be a tax calculator or something of that sort ?
- Any idea about housing rent charges in Tukku area ? I am looking for a decent appartment.
- Can I get my license exchanged to a Finnish one ?
- I have my fiance(non-EU, Indian) who works in UK at the moment. We dont live together. Is there any provision for her to move with me on any grounds ? She wish to do her masters in Finland. Any good advice ?

Apologies if I am repeating the same ol questions. I just came to know about this forum today and havent yet gone through the old postings.

Thanks in advance,
-LC

I prefer not doing it, if I can't be passionate about it.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

PeterF

Re: permits status & some doubts

Post by PeterF » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:28 am

lalc wrote:- Is there any place where I can know more about finnish salary levels, tax details and stuf like that ? May be a tax calculator or something of that sort ?
- I have my fiance(non-EU, Indian) who works in UK at the moment. We dont live together. Is there any provision for her to move with me on any grounds ? She wish to do her masters in Finland. Any good advice ?
Lots of questions..some I cant answer but others probably can.
But first to answer needs a question..What is your profession/job/qualification?
Not knowing that means dont know salary levels.
Tax levels depends on Salary plus other factors, but mainly salary.
License.. assume you mean driving..do you have UK licence or Indian?
Your fiance is dealt with as a seperate person /case by immigrations.."engaged" is not a legal status as far as they are concerned. She can apply to be a student here, but she will have to satisfy the rules of becoming a Non EU resident/student.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Re: permits status & some doubts

Post by Hank W. » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:40 am

lalc wrote: - What duration resident permit am I eligible to get ?
Well, a residence permit is ususllay given for one year. And it may be either B (temporary) or A (permanent). After living 2 years continuously on A status the residence permit can be changed to a 'permanent residence permit' that is valid as long as the passport is.

http://www.uvi.fi => They have pdf files regarding work permit & residence in different categories.
lalc wrote: - If I wish to do some part time studies, how does the university sytem, say in Turkku, work ?
Turku university http://www.utu.fi/english/
Their international office pages ought to have information on Turku in general. Also for local information try:
http://www.turkuamk.fi/polytechnic/turku.htm
The polytechnic has a "survival guide" on their pages

lalc wrote: - Is there any place where I can know more about finnish salary levels, tax details and stuf like that ? May be a tax calculator or something of that sort ?
Well, yes, how good is your Finnish? Usually unions & such have their own "average scales" but we'd need to know exactly what you are before we can say if even it is found. The tax office has also a tax calculator so you can calculate your taxes pretty accurately. http://prosentti.vero.fi/veropros_tietojen_syotto.asp
... of course in Finnish.
lalc wrote: - Any idea about housing rent charges in Tukku area ? I am looking for a decent appartment.
Someone local might advise. I suppose "decent" means "not in Lauste nor Varissuo"?
lalc wrote: - Can I get my license exchanged to a Finnish one ?
http://www.poliisi.fi/poliisi/home.nsf/ ... enDocument
lalc wrote: - I have my fiance(non-EU, Indian) who works in UK at the moment. We dont live together. Is there any provision for her to move with me on any grounds ? She wish to do her masters in Finland. Any good advice ?
Well, no (or very complicated explaining she is a de facto spouse), unless you get married. Otherwise she has to come on her own, apply to the university etc. the UVI -page & pdf's have the answers.

And old postings are always old, laws and regulations change.
Last edited by Hank W. on Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

distantspaces

Post by distantspaces » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:58 am

- What duration resident permit am I eligible to get ?

Probably 1 year to start with. Maybe 2, if the officer is in good mood.

- Is there any place where I can know more about finnish salary levels, tax details and stuf like that ? May be a tax calculator or something of that sort ?

Go to http://www.vero.fi They have a tax calculator there. In general, taxes are high and salaries are low. We all crib about it here.

If you have an Indian license, you can easily exchange it within 12 months. They will take your Indian license and give you a Finnish one. You cannot keep both at the same time.

If you can prove that you have lived together for 2 years in the past, then she can move to Finland based on your permit. Otherwise, she would need to apply as a student. As Hank mentioned, check out http://www.uvi.fi for details about residence in Finland.

Here is a good resource for Indians living in Finland, and has quite a lot of practical advice:
http://www.geocities.com/fintiahome/index.html

Best of luck!

lalc

Thanks

Post by lalc » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:20 am

Thanks Peter, Hanks and DistantSpaces..

I am into IT/Telecom. Any idea what are the salary levels there ?

My finnish is just at a very early level. :) Need to catch up. Thanks once again and hope I get my permit soon.

PeterF

Re: Thanks

Post by PeterF » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:13 am

lalc wrote:I am into IT/Telecom. Any idea what are the salary levels there ?
In to??..Daah ..PHd; Bsc..Student??? Years experience...?
OK if you are as I suspect aged 19-25, a basic Bsc graduate less than a couple of years work experience looking to get your masters some day.. :roll: .if you find the time etc etc.

So as a starter..Should be asking for basic per month (thats they way they talk salary in Finland.) 2500 € to 3000 €, .. you will probably have to pay about 25 to 27% tax,.. so plus other stopages ..your cash in bank per month 1800 € to 2000 €. .They will probably have a 6 months trail period in your contract..check it..... if they like you they will give you a rise :o if they dont ...unemployed....
:cry:

lalc

hi

Post by lalc » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:20 am

Well... I am 5 yrs experienced... in a major telecom MNC. An engineer by profession. Does this help ?
I prefer not doing it, if I can't be passionate about it.

Sankalp

Post by Sankalp » Thu Oct 16, 2003 9:51 am

Just wondering, If you have got opinion papers, then you should have a job and specified salary along with it ? I guess that would be the case normally but not aware of your case.
Sankalp