social security number

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
vampe

social security number

Post by vampe » Wed May 31, 2006 12:39 pm

Maybe I'm just blind , but I've had a look everywhere and I can't seem to find just how to apply for the actual NUMBER , or do I get one when applying for a kela card ? I know once I get there I need to apply for a tax card too.. but the social security number , I'm just confused about :S

social security number

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

sinikala

Re: social security number

Post by sinikala » Wed May 31, 2006 12:56 pm

vampe wrote:Maybe I'm just blind , but I've had a look everywhere and I can't seem to find just how to apply for the actual NUMBER , or do I get one when applying for a kela card ? I know once I get there I need to apply for a tax card too.. but the social security number , I'm just confused about :S
I got mine by registering at the Maistraati (you had to be registered in the Census / population registry) this is going back some years though.

It used to be so that you couldn't get a residence permit without a henkilotunnus, & you couldn't get a henkilotunnus without a registration permit... I had to make several journeys between Kilo Police station and Tapiola Maistraati shuttling paperwork for them.

If I remember correctly it depended on Maistraati actually generating the number which they hand wrote on a scrap of paper and told me to take to that to the police!

I know that a colleague who came to Finland 18 months after I did had it considerably easier and a colleague who came to finland 2 years before me had a considerably harder time (all 3 UK nationals). So the system was changing all the time.

zoltar

Post by zoltar » Wed May 31, 2006 12:59 pm

If you live in Helsinki, you need to go to the Maistratti on the corner of Bulevardi and Albertinkatu. It's on the first floor to the left of the entrance. I forget if they give you the number straightaway, but you'll receive an envelope with a stamp and a seal that you then use to show your number and get other things, like the KELA card. The ID card you will have to get from the foreigners police up in Mälmi as I recall.

kmboll

Post by kmboll » Wed May 31, 2006 1:13 pm

This was the process for me about a month ago. First to the police to apply for the residancy permit (can be a few weeks, can be a few months). After you get a permit, then go to the maistratti to apply for the SSN. They sent it to me in the mail and it took about 3 days. Then to KELA to apply for benifits. The decision took about 2-3 weeks. Once you get the decision (if it's yes) then you need to either call or go back in and have them send you the actual KELA card. (although you are covered by KELA without the card. You just need to bring the paperwork they sent you in the mail along to the doctor/etc.)

vampe

Post by vampe » Wed May 31, 2006 1:17 pm

Ahh thankyou. Im just waiting for my residence permit :) at least i know what to do now.

thanks!