Looking for work in Helsinki area

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Tue May 20, 2003 8:20 pm

Hey guys,
thanks again for all the help.
I called HR freight today in England and they told me that i should call the finish office, i called and the man i spoke to said he had no jobs vacancys and not to even send my cv. to him.
But the girl in the uk was very helpful she said that they had vacancys there but you had to live in England and you might never visit Finland.
Also she said that alot of the time that they send the trailers only and no truck and use agents in otrer countrys to deliver the goods.
I also visited the Mol site Hank but you know if they see a foreign number they dont answer or they speak finish only. but then i block my number and if they dont see a number they dont answer??
But i keep trying i got one nice guy tonight who already had one irish guy work for him before, and he said he likes irish people, so i will call him when i get there. It will be foreign work but it will be a start, that is if he has a job for me at that time.
Regards to all, Tony.
P.S. keep the suggestions coming.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

ajdias

chauffeur?

Post by ajdias » Tue May 20, 2003 11:33 pm

Tony,

I don't know if this can help you..

Chauffeur/Autonkuljettaja

Kuvaus: Working knowledge of English required/Hakijan on tultava
toimeen englannin kielellä. 2-year contract, trial period/2-vuoden sopimus, koeaika.

Työnantajan WWW-sivu: http://www.greekembassy.fi
Työnantajan osoite: Maneesikatu 2 A 4, 00170 HELSINKI
Yhteystiedot: Mervi Myllyoja, (09) 6229790, [email protected]

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed May 21, 2003 2:32 am

Embassy chauffeur, that's l33t :mrgreen: - even if you are #2 = errand boy.

Used to be one in the 1980's... embassy undisclosed, but it was interesting... and a f* new mercedes...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Wed May 21, 2003 11:10 pm

Hi guys,
i will give them a call about the chauffeur job and see what they say.
8)

daive

Post by daive » Wed May 21, 2003 11:24 pm

Hank W. wrote:Used to be one in the 1980's... embassy undisclosed, but it was interesting... and a f* new mercedes...
SO Hank, was it the Russian or Chinese embassy? :lol:

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Fri May 23, 2003 10:48 pm

Hey Peter,
i got the phone numbers for the truck companys that were in the Helsinki Sanomat today and i will call them on monday.
I will be in Helsinki on the 14 of June to visit some companys hope i get lucky.
Keep the suggestions coming, i need all the help i can get, i am running out of ideas.
Kiitos kukin. :oops:
Regards Tony.

Sara

Post by Sara » Fri May 23, 2003 11:40 pm

Tony,

not to put a downer but it is very hard work to find a job here. It can take months, it gets disheartening but all you can do is keep trying and something will turn up in the end.

Hopefully this trip you will get lucky :)

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Sat May 24, 2003 8:47 pm

And June 14 is like a week before Midsummer. Like nobody is at the office at work except the summer interns...
Cheers, Hank W.

neil

Post by neil » Sun May 25, 2003 1:48 pm

And June 14 is like a week before Midsummer. Like nobody is at the office at work except the summer interns...
...and Motorheads ;)

Hi Tony.

One thing you also try is the "Brute Force" approach, that is, to call up all the haulage companies in the Finnish Yellow Pages (Keltainensivut) and to keepcalling them up and eventually they will recognise your voice. "Oh its that Irish guy again" and hope someone will hire you based on the fact you won't go away.

Perseverance, tenacity and determination will help get you to where you want to be.

Calling up x amount of companies might just pay off because all you want is 1 opportunity. What dates are you here for? Perhaps a bunch of us can meet you for some beers and do some brainstorming (as meeting for beers solves everything, don't you know?!) :P

Br,

Neil.

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Sun May 25, 2003 6:06 pm

Hey Guys,
I will be in Helsinki - arriving on the 14 of June and returning on the 29th.
Yes we could meet for a conference and discuss my options.
My fiancee said that people go on holidays after mid summer, so i hope to meet some people before this. She will call some companys tomorrow and make some appointments, espically those that were hiring those Russian drivers.
I think that my girl friend has the yellow pages so i will have a look and see who is in there?
Is it as dangerous as they say about driving in Russia ?
Regards everyone, Tony.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 26, 2003 12:03 am

tonyvw wrote:Is it as dangerous as they say about driving in Russia ?
Well, there was the Swiss guy who ended up his rig missing - no rather his rig found, the cargo missing, and the guy in a shallow ditch...

You sort of need to know the need to know to the east...
Cheers, Hank W.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon May 26, 2003 1:29 am

Hank W. wrote:You sort of need to know the need to know to the east...
So who thinks Hank's been down the bar? :)

DAL

Post by DAL » Mon May 26, 2003 6:34 am

[quote="tonyvw"]Hey Guys, I will be in Helsinki - arriving on the 14 of June and returning on the 29th.
Yes we could meet for a conference and discuss my options.[quote]

This is quite selfish, I will be in Helsinki from the 9th to the 21st. If you guys will be so kind as to schedule a get together sometime during that period of time I can pay a debt I owe to Daive. Plus, I have been a semi-passive member for awhile and would love to meet you guys and ladies.
Dustin

I have nothing witty to say

tonyvw

Post by tonyvw » Mon May 26, 2003 8:16 pm

Hey Guys,
I hate asking all the time , but keep any suggestions you have about finding a job or truck driving coming. The more i know when i get ther the better. Like the Russian stories, it would be a disaster to get a bad job, like something that would dangerous like going to Russia, so the more you tell me then i will be able to handle the situation better. Kiitos.
Regards Tony :roll:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 27, 2003 12:19 am

We don't take the credits for telling what you want to hear. We take the credit for telling you all the nasty !"#¤% so you won't be here moaning "I wasn't told..." Problem is usually people want to hear what they want to hear...
Cheers, Hank W.