For those of you who will need to renew A5 residence permit

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
Phil

Post by Phil » Wed Jul 16, 2003 9:08 pm

I just had to renew my A5 residence permit, I just thought I'd tell you what is needed to do this......

You need to apply for the renewal at least one day before it expires. Although it takes months to actually get the real permit, they'll issue you a temporary one until the paperwork is complete.

You need to goto your town's police headquarters. Mine was Espoo, they're located in Koti, a 110T from Tapiola will drop you off right in front of it (or you can just follow the sent of bacon :wink: ). They have a special entrance on the side just for us stinky foreingers with immigration issues.

You'll need to bring your passport, a little b&w photo of yourself from one of those machines, and 26 euros. Once you get there, just fill out a form, talk to some employee there and you're done.

Some people have said that they take passport, they didn't take mine, they just photocopied it.

...more fun than seeing Bruce Springsteen live in concert.

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 17, 2003 12:14 am

Kilo. The infamous one kilo police. You live at 'koti'. :D
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Caroline

Post by Caroline » Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:21 am

I'm A5 status too, non-EU, and just got my permanent permit last month. I applied for it a week before expiration and left my passport with the application. The approval process took a week and a half, and there was no temporary permit involved.
Former expat in Finland, now living in New Hampshire USA.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Thu Jul 17, 2003 11:56 am

Yeah, but you live in an area that the tourist buses stop at the "county foreigner's" house. There is the same two people processing the applications here I guess so it can take and take and take time...
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Geri Bush

Post by Geri Bush » Mon Oct 27, 2003 3:12 pm

Help!

Could some one please tell me which form is needed for the renewal of an A5? I just stopped by the police/permit place in Klaukkala and they gave me the same form I filled out last year. Is this correct? Do I need to submit the same documents again? Ex: bank account balance, university degrees, proof of cohabitation etc.

My first one took 8 months to process so I'm nervous!

Thanks,
Geri

eashton

Post by eashton » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:19 pm

Caroline wrote:I'm A5 status too, non-EU, and just got my permanent permit last month. I applied for it a week before expiration and left my passport with the application. The approval process took a week and a half, and there was no temporary permit involved.
Oulu must have a lot fewer furriners, as down here in Helsinki I was told to wait 5 months and I took mine in 2 months before expiration...I'm still waiting.

The funny bit was the woman telling me I could get back into the country after it expires by coming in as a tourist.

eashton

Post by eashton » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:26 pm

Geri Bush wrote:Help!

Could some one please tell me which form is needed for the renewal of an A5? I just stopped by the police/permit place in Klaukkala and they gave me the same form I filled out last year. Is this correct? Do I need to submit the same documents again? Ex: bank account balance, university degrees, proof of cohabitation etc.

Yes, it's the same form :) If you have an A5, then you won't need all the bank papers and whatnot....you'll do the same as Phil and the rest of us with spouses or family here have. If you don't have your own source of income, just write in that your spouse supports you presently in the income section on the 2nd page.

I don't know about Klaukkala, but since it is in the Helsinki area, be prepared to wait for a few months. They will give you the option of retaining your passport since they only require it at the end of the process, but be sure to ask for a receipt/paper that you can carry with your passport after the visa expires just in case you need to prove your status. You are still allowed to stay in Finland after it expires as long as you have an active application for a new one.

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Oct 27, 2003 7:55 pm

If you are a New Zealander it also costs nothing. Some age old agreement means we pay nothing.

aRabbit

Post by aRabbit » Tue Nov 04, 2003 5:31 pm

I was told it will cost me more than 100 euros. I guess that is because I am applying for A5 for the first time. Local police will send all papers to Helsinki, surely it will take a long time. :o
Reality is when you stop believing, it will not vanish.

sheepish

Post by sheepish » Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:21 pm

Geri Bush wrote:Help!

Thanks,
Geri
Hey Geri, instead of going to Klaukkala office, maybe its better to go to Nurmijarvi, Klaukkal only send it there anyway, and then you can see the people that count! Thats what I did anyways...

Geri Bush

Post by Geri Bush » Sun Nov 30, 2003 8:40 pm

Thanks Sheepish,

I took your advise. Nurmijärvi told me that the decision for permit number 2 will be made locally, not in Helsinki. Therefore, suggested I turn in the forms in January, one month before permit number 1's expiration.

Geri