Driving Licences

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
SteveJ

Driving Licences

Post by SteveJ » Mon May 26, 2003 2:41 pm

I have a valid Uk driving license. 2 of my friends whom are Swiss (non EU) reckon it is only valid for one year here? Is that because they are from a non EU country or do I need to get my UK license changed to a Finnish one?

I admit I've got a drink problem....Two hands, one mouth.

Driving Licences

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

daive

Post by daive » Mon May 26, 2003 2:44 pm

I use a UK driving licence here, it is the plastic card type though and I was told this is OK to use. But ideally they would like you to change it over for a Finnish one, no new test needed! I THINK!! Hank will be able to clarify!

Handsome

Re: Driving Licences

Post by Handsome » Mon May 26, 2003 2:47 pm

SteveJ wrote:I have a valid Uk driving license. 2 of my friends whom are Swiss (non EU) reckon it is only valid for one year here? Is that because they are from a non EU country or do I need to get my UK license changed to a Finnish one?
Any UK license can be used indefinitely in Finland. Of course, it's probably easier for the authorities if you convert it to a Finnish license, but it's up to you.

Stu

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 26, 2003 2:50 pm

"Exchanging a foreign driving licence for a Finnish driving licence

A person who lives permanently in Finland or has been studying in Finland for at least six months can exchange a driving licence issued in an EU or EEA country for an equivalent Finnish driving licence without having to take a new driving test.

The driving licence permit application must be submitted to the police in person.

When applying for a driving licence permit, the following must be included:

2 photographs (preferably black-and-white)
confirmation that you have been driving a car in Finland for at least six months
driving licence issued in a country that has signed the Convention (if the driving licence has been lost, a written account of how it was lost).

At the police station you must fill in the driving licence application form and a form enquiring whether you already have a driving licence or are banned from driving in another EU or EEA country.

Fee:
Exchanging a foreign driving licence EUR 41,30 "
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Mon May 26, 2003 2:52 pm

Basically, the only reason someone would want to switch over to a Finnish drivers licence is to avoid fuss and weird stares when asked for ID.
Cheers, Hank W.

Richard

Post by Richard » Mon May 26, 2003 3:01 pm

Hank W. wrote:Basically, the only reason someone would want to switch over to a Finnish drivers licence is to avoid fuss and weird stares when asked for ID.
Or because their old paper one is now falling to peices.

SteveJ

Post by SteveJ » Mon May 26, 2003 3:01 pm

Thanks all. The confusion is when you come from a Non EU country.
Just in case anyone else is looking:
http://www.eura-relocation.com/countrypages/finland.htm
I admit I've got a drink problem....Two hands, one mouth.

neil

Post by neil » Mon May 26, 2003 3:06 pm

Exchanging a foreign driving licence EUR 41,30
If it ain't broke don't fix it and at €41 I don't think I'm going to be converting.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Mon May 26, 2003 10:54 pm

Arent all European driving licsenses considered equal? What would be the point in getting a Finnish one. Might get my UK piece of paper upgraded to a card though think it is only GBP10.

Mind you does anyone know if it would save on insurance? Might think, "they have a foreign license better up the premium"

Tony

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 27, 2003 12:21 am

well, what do you show as ID when you pay withthe card?
Cheers, Hank W.

ajdias

Post by ajdias » Tue May 27, 2003 12:40 am

tjawatts wrote:Arent all European driving licsenses considered equal? What would be the point in getting a Finnish one.

I'm just reasoning here but with a foreign license you probably would be asked to pay your fines right awayy. don't know if having residence permit plays a role here. And you woudn't be given an alternative punition like x-days without driving license, instead of the fine.. :roll:

DAL

Post by DAL » Tue May 27, 2003 1:06 am

I don't know if the residency permit played a role in it, but I got caught a couple of times driving too fast and they didn't require faster or immediate payment. I was driving on a US license after living in Finland for three two years. They did inform me that my license from the US was no longer valid as I had been there three years and they gave me a ticket for that as well. At least they were polite :?
Dustin

I have nothing witty to say

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Tue May 27, 2003 1:07 am

Methinks them funny foreigners get the slack here -rather then the opposite...
Cheers, Hank W.

tjawatts

Post by tjawatts » Tue May 27, 2003 1:25 am

Hank W. wrote:well, what do you show as ID when you pay withthe card?
Well if I was lucky enough to have a card ;-)

Does it have to be something with the henkilo tunnus on? Otherwise residence permit would do surely. What else will do other than drivers license (people dont all drive)?

Toyn

daive

Post by daive » Tue May 27, 2003 8:56 am

tjawatts wrote:
Hank W. wrote:well, what do you show as ID when you pay withthe card?
Well if I was lucky enough to have a card ;-)

Does it have to be something with the henkilo tunnus on? Otherwise residence permit would do surely. What else will do other than drivers license (people dont all drive)?

Toyn
Hi TOYN!!!!

You can use your oleskelulupa kortti as ID, that doesn't have your henkilötunnus on but is acceptable. At least it has a photo on whereas the Kela kortti doesn't have the photo but does include the henkilötunnus.

Regards

Daive