Possessions

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.
kwallette

Possessions

Post by kwallette » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Hello, Again. I have yet another question. When relocating, I will be bringing only my clothing and minimal amounts of things outside of the clothing realm. As you all know, some of us women have problems with shopping. I fear I am no different. I am trying to figure out the best avenue in getting my clothing and the like to Finland. I will most definately not be able to fit it all in the two bags I am allowed to bring on the plane.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best and most sensible way to get my belongings to Finland???? I was thinking shipping it, however, about four or five weeks ago, I sent a two pound box to my boyfriend and he STILL hasn't received it.

Any suggestions would be EXTREMELY helpful.
(It would be nice to have enough money to just forego bringing clothing and just shop for all new stuff, but I do not think that is really an option - joking, partially)

Thanks
Kari

Possessions

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:18 pm

Get some space in a truck that goes in this direction (in Europe).
Pile it up in boxes on a Europallet. I think you have enough with one pallet (80x110cms), since you can pile it up to 2 meters high. That shouldn't cost you more than maybe 150-200 euros.

Or else ask the airline you're flying with how much it costs extra if you take more than you're regular 20kgs (in Europe) or 40 kgs.
Everything's for sale, you know. Also extra space in the plane.

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:40 pm

Hey Arno, Thanks!

I will have to look into the airline thing as I will be coming from the US. I will ask them when I buy my ticket. You are right, everything is for sale. Funny how everything is for sale, yet not much is free.

Thanks again.
Kari

daive

Post by daive » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:38 pm

kwallette wrote:Hey Arno, Thanks!

I will have to look into the airline thing as I will be coming from the US. I will ask them when I buy my ticket. You are right, everything is for sale. Funny how everything is for sale, yet not much is free.

Thanks again.
Kari
Laughter is always free and sometimes it is the only thing one can do not to lose their sanity... but beware, too much laughter and they will think you are insane! :lol:

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:40 pm

Are you sure your clothes are wearable in Finland though? Atleast all the American tourists coming off the cruiseships look real funny... but then again I'm sure you're not into pink hairdo and creased & starched jeans. You might want to check with the ladies what you cannot find here and stock up as if your mom sends you care packages the customs will tax you to death on the items if they go over a certain limit.
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

sayx

Post by sayx » Wed Oct 29, 2003 4:58 pm

I shipped a crate from San Diego to Helsinki and it cost around $200 US it took a month to arrive. I looked into shipping from Toronto Canada and it was going to run me about $135 US. Very well worth the €€ if the contents is worth it. Customs on personal items was very easy to deal with but a car for all the damn running around would make you life easier.
Image Serving my 9th year of a life sentence with no chance of early parole

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:05 pm

So I could not help but to laugh (which is free, in fact, but the level of my sanity is questionable without the laughter - joking, well, partially) about whether or not my clothing is acceptable. Americans do have EXTREMELY horrible tastes in clothing. As I am sitting at work and I look around the halls of the horrifically large people wearing extremely bad clothing. That is an understatement. It is gross - yuck. Ummmm, I just got back from visiting the fine country of Finland a week ago. My clothing seemed acceptable. I have the basic staple clothing that I saw. However, I am not sure about the TIGHT, TIGHT clothing. I do not dress like a slob in any respect, but trying on pants while visiting was a bit of a shock! Although, I did buy some clothing while I was there. How could I resist, right?

I have a pretty conservative style for myself, so the pink hair doesn't work for me.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:27 pm

Yeah, well if we talk about *tight* you should have visited Greece a few years back. Atleast the TEI Thessaloniki students (women) wore what we called 'olive oil pants' that you need to grease to pull on... or I think they put them on wet - which in Greece makes sense (and maybe last summer in Finland)... Finland goes about a year-two behind of say what is fashionable in Milan, and of course depending on how much you spend on clothes, the fashion is what they bought as leftovers from the factory in China...

Funny thing though a few years back couldn't find a pinstripe suit and now they have nothing but pinstripe suits... though my cheapness buys from the sales rack so its primarily an issue of size. :mrgreen:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:27 pm

What tight, tight clothing?

You wanna see form fitting, go to Saint Petersburg for a few days. When you come back you will appreciate the loose fitting stuff that you see here!

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:40 pm

dusty_bin wrote:What tight, tight clothing?

You wanna see form fitting, go to Saint Petersburg for a few days. When you come back you will appreciate the loose fitting stuff that you see here!
You mean something like this? :lol: :twisted: :lol:

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:03 pm

I recently received an e-mail from my boss about a Camel Toe song that had all of these pictures of different women with camel toe. IT WAS HILARIOUS. However, Miss Brittany was not in there. Hmmmmm, maybe I should suggest she be part of it.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:11 pm

It's such a shame that I am a vegetarian! ;) 8)

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:14 pm

I feel sad for you.

It is a shame that I am not a lesbian -- JOKING. Well, I am not a lesbian, nonetheless, Miss Brittany is all yours.

deojuvame

Post by deojuvame » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:24 pm

I could see her uterus her pants were too tight
She must've owned panties that were not in sight
She walked right by the poor woman didn't know
She had a frontal wedgie a Camel Toe

http://www.cameltoe.org/

kwallette

Post by kwallette » Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:25 pm

arabella, that song is pretty funny. There is actually another song that is absolutely hilarious with a video and all.