Canadians coming to Helsinki and have no idea what to expect

How to? Read other's experiences. Find useful advice on shipping, immigration, residence permits, visas and more.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 30, 2003 1:38 pm

Hank W. wrote:Look now Arno, Great Slave Lake is just like Finland!!!

Funny Canadians comeing here :mrgreen:

Indeed!
I have a couple of pictures that are pretty much identical to that! :roll:

Sponsor:

Finland Forum Ad-O-Matic

Jentle

Post by Jentle » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:17 am

i appreciate all the information on finland...euhm. but i must say those pictures look nothing like the canada that i am use to. then again, i am from the west coast. and the reasoning for helsinki is school. our unviersity has an exchange program with helia so therefore we decided to be adventurous and go for it.

dusty_bin

Post by dusty_bin » Fri Oct 31, 2003 3:11 am

If you are on an exchange program then get hold of the information pack provided by the destination university. All the documents of this sort that I have seen have been very good. Much more useful than our (factual) information about polar bears and glaciers.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 7:49 am

Jentle wrote: exchange program with helia
:mrgreen: As a HELIA graduate I cannot but say that you have made a good choice :mrgreen: ...just be warned theres some people around who still study there. So the survival guide was more than appropriate, HELIA's KANTO-group is pretty active in taking care of their exchange students & organizing activities. Now may I be so bold to ask whether you are into the computer, business or multilingual departments???
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

Jentle

Post by Jentle » Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:20 pm

my, that is very bold of you. i am in the buisness program as is one of my travelling compadres, while the other is studying languages.

Hank W.
The Motorhead

Post by Hank W. » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:15 pm

Ok, so I know where to come for a guest lecture... they enjoy having dirty old me... former students come tell about realities of life :ochesey:
Cheers, Hank W.
sitting here like a lemon looking for a gin.

brumlee

Post by brumlee » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:30 pm

Minna what do you mean by bonking on the head :D
It only sounds like a good thing to me :D
love ya :wink:

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Oct 31, 2003 10:54 pm

No need to worry about being bonked in the head or thrown into a snowbank - never seen it happen here. When Finns get the gloomy winter blues, just give them a smile and be nice. It really makes a difference.

The only chance of getting thrown in a snowbank is if you are playing a good old game of outdoor hockey. Varo! It will be the Canadians doing the checking, usually. :wink:

Geri Bush

Post by Geri Bush » Sat Nov 01, 2003 2:30 pm

I'll take you up on the outdoor hockey. Show you how an American can check. Skating skills may not be the best but American football has tought my to hold my ground. And I have a funny pipo that looks great on the ice.

So Martinlaakson ice rink once it frozen??????

TrishPaakkonen

Post by TrishPaakkonen » Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:55 am

If any of you would like to make some money , we sure could use a babysitter....... say one night a month :)

Katariina is a delightful 2 year old who speaks English and Finnish while Jonathan....well he is 13 and besides not being a reliable sitter, would just say hello as he goes out the door, cell phone in hand. ( he sure has learned alot about Finnish customs in the 3 short months we have been here )

If you are interested, please keep us in mind:))) hint hint hint!

Trish Pääkkönen

[email protected]

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Nov 07, 2003 12:37 pm

Sure, we should have an . hockey event. I'll post again when we get some ice and snow. :D (Everyone has to play nice though!)

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:00 pm

BAT wrote: (Everyone has to play nice though!)
Joo joo :roll: one rule for all others... bu not for BAT... High sticking :shock: what little ME.. :oops: she says...as she goes in with her stick like a jousting lance at your throat and while you try to avoid that she kicks the puck into your groin! :roll: Opps Anteksi sorri.. did it hurt! :shock: Oh dear me I seem to have scored another goal while you were laying down on the ice :wink: Why do I have sit in the pen for another two minutes?? Oh well gives me time to wipe the blood off my stick.... :twisted: :twisted:

kultary

Post by kultary » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:17 pm

TrishPaakkonen wrote:If any of you would like to make some money , we sure could use a babysitter....... say one night a month :)

Are the Canadians volunteering to babysit? Hey... I've got a gaggle here in Tampere you can look after as well!

PeterF

Post by PeterF » Fri Nov 07, 2003 1:26 pm

kultary wrote:
TrishPaakkonen wrote:If any of you would like to make some money , we sure could use a babysitter....... say one night a month :)

Are the Canadians volunteering to babysit? Hey... I've got a gaggle here in Tampere you can look after as well!
Anyone seen the advert which features the kid Ice Skating across the parkette floor.. :roll: .Canadian as baby miders not recommended. :wink: .Dog minders ..no problems Oggie is willing to put his paw mark onto BAT,s CV. in exchange for some more of her cookies!

BAT

Post by BAT » Fri Nov 07, 2003 3:38 pm

:twisted:

I will admit that I play hockey in figure skates. Need to get myself a pair of proper hockey skates. (Although picks can be quite handy - mwah hah hah hah!) I play nice - most of the time. :D (And I'm a good doggie-sitter, and Oggie is a good doggie. For those of you who don't know who Oggie is - see Anja's avatar.)

Are the Canadian students still reading this thread? Do you have any more specific questions before your arrival to Finland? Hope we've been helpful and haven't scared you off :wink: